Northern Sound and Vision

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

The Miles D is a DMM Cutting, The Who is by Classic Records, And the RP/AK is on 180g. Rest second hand bin.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

What did we think of the new Quad electostats ?
I thought something in the chain was wrong. Likely either the CD player ( whatever that was ) or the new Quad II-eighty amps, but the female vocals were not what I'd expect from those speakers, or from electrostats in general .

Shame ..

MJ
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Were the Quads the big ones (about 5' x 3.5' I think) or the smaller ones? (I didn't make it over there Nick.) As the owner of 989s I'm interested to hear about the new ones (not that I'm going to buy any) - all the reviews say they are the best Quads yet. Apparently the electronics are just the same as in the 989s and the 63s, the frames are just more rigid.
"Its good enough for Government work."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I am not sure which ones they were Ian, but like Mark, I was less than impressed with the sound. My feelings were the problem might have been the amp, but I have no basis for that other than it sounded like typical pentode "crunchy" treble, I have to admit its the same sort of sound that the WD88 makes, and with hindsight, so did my 6550. I commented at the time to Mark that the sound you were getting with the F4's was much to be preferred.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Shame the supporting equipment wasn't up to scratch. You still need to hear the F4s with the Leben preamp Nick.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

They were the big ones, the beefed-up 989's . I don't believe the speakers were bad, I suspect the other stuff .
How's the F4 ?
I'm thinking of building one to bi-amp bass on my new speaker project .

Mark
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Mark
I think the F4 is a very fine amp, albeit unusual in its lack of voltage gain. I've recently acquired a second hand lovely Leben preamp that has enormous voltage gain and works really well with the F4s.

However, lots of people seem to think the F5 is even better and it might be better suited for bass duties; it is 25 wpc and Pass says it will drive speakers that dip to 2 ohms without probem. I'm currently gathering the parts to build an F5 and I've got a nice but pricey enclosure with suitable heatsinks. (I also intend to build some OTLs but I've decided the F5 is a more sensible place to dive in for a novice like me - that and the fact that mysterious forces/circumstances seem to keep pointing me at the F5. )

Ian
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Pic

Post by IslandPink »

Ian
Have you got a picture of the internal layout of your F4 ?
I'm looking to build one very soon , might solve a few questions I have as I go along . Nick didn't have a pic to hand .
Mark
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Mark
I don't have any pics to hand but I will see if I can sort one out for you. Might take a few days, got a very busy weekend ahead.

Ian