Linux Music server

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
ed
retired

Post by ed »

yeah well it damn well ought to be if its not(in common use that is)......

you mean when the EDS30 seek logic failed and the drive thrashed, and thrashed, and thrashed until the hydraulic head actuator oil came out of the back and all over the floor.....the engineers hated this cos it meant they had to get out the mops and crawl around on the floor clearing up...ha ha ha ha.....

you youngsters think I've lost it........

no you just carry on using it Nick, and no more tosh about getting old...!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I wondered if you would notice Ed :-)

Reminds me of the day we found that if you got the heads on the RK07 disk on the PDP 11/70 we used at Bradford uni moving at the right rate you could get it to start inching itself across the floor until it got to the end of its connecting cables. Used to rearly mess with the sysadmin.

And don't get me started on the 1904 they used to have...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

oh go on......

reminds me of the time one time at band camp.......

on the 1904, if you had the standard 720 lpm line printer there was a test pattern print that you could send it and the print block would play the national anthem.......

...cor I'd completely forgotten that sometimes work was fun back in the day

cor look what I found........
30 mega bytes...glorious...you could really thrash these if you exceeded your packing density on an index sequential file...
Attachments
r12600em.jpg
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Luv the hair-do...

Maplin used to have a second-hand 11/70. 1 MB of RAM! :shock: Wow! That much!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

Post by ed »

1 meg, are you serious, thats serious luxury...........

the machine that disc drive was connected to had a max of 256k but most customers couldn't afford that and they settled for 64k or 128k....but it wasn't ram, it was core store....much sexier!
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

OK guys, back on thread for a minute...

I've got centos up and running with server GUI. Takes an age and a half to boot, makes win2k boot look lightning quick so I think there's some tweaking to be done there.

At the moment it doesn't talk to the DHCP on the router so its not getting itself an IP address. Not figured this one out yet as it has a connection (flashy winky lights all flash and wink) and the router knows its connected to something.
Whats the linux equiv to ipconfig in windows?
Once I'm on the web I guess the next step is get YUMmy with it and then hit it with squeezecenter.

Onwards :wink:

Simon C
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You may find that part of the reason for the slow start is the lack of network connection.

Did it give you the option of setting up the network card during the installation?

/sbin/ifconfig -a

will show you the interface states. Use

dmesg

to look at the startup messages to see if its found the network card. Also /var/log/messages will contain any reports of failures.

You may however prefer to use a static address, so you know what o connect to from the squeezebox.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

I struggled to get a static address set on my Suse 11 boxes. I've wimped out now and set "static route" on the router. ie statically assign an IP address to the network card's MAC address so that when the system DHCPs the IP config from the router it always get the same IP. Won't work of course if I take the box elsewhere but then I never really do so it doesn't matter to me.

For some reason whenever I tried to set a static IP in Suse it mucked up the DNS settings and wouldn't find anything.

Cheers,
Tony
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Still fighting the boot and network problems. Last night I figured out the card was being disabled during boot. Sorted this out and it is now showing as active.
Still not talking the my DHCP so I set a static IP and although it looked to be happy there's still no connection in/out the the rest of my network.
Disabled both the centos firewall and my routers security but still no luck.
Ermm, not much fun all of this with it taking 25 minutes to reboot between config changes.

Also the raid does not seem to be mounting during boot. Its there and configured, just not mounting as far as I can tell.

Starting to get well out of my depth in Linux config/fault finding. It may be time for a visit to Nick's lair of hifi and computer guruness... :oops:

Onwards

Simon C
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

It may not help, but there is rairly a need to reboot, thats generally a windows thing.

Is the network card seeing the LAN? is it starting at the right speed and duplex? Can you ping anything?
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

I'm having a mare getting my atom powered mobo (D945GCLF2) to work with centos. I've still got no network and after some searching around the web I think I've found the problem (http://henning.schmiedehausen.org/wingn ... mment-1794), but I'm too much of a noob to be able to figure out how to implement it.

Help... :cry:

Simon C
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Unfortunately I can't offer any help but you certainly have my empathy.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ok .I will see what help I can find. This is talking about Ubuntu, but the basic theory is the same.

http://acm.cse.lehigh.edu:8080/~jhw204//hardy-r8168

This is centos

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... se-537060/

As is this

http://www.yqed.com/realtek-rtl8111-fix-centos/
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Thanks Nick,

I'll give these a try tonight. I'm learning a lot along the way but as a long time windows user/admin its taking a while to get my head into Linux.

Simon C
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Maybe moving forwards, after a lot of faffing around trying to get the realtek driver tar to build (would not make clean modules) I discovered elrepo and found a r8168 rpm that actually installed on my system with no errors.

Just waiting for the reboot now, still around the 25 minute mark so I think there's more work to be done...anyway once I can get it on the net and all yummied up I should be in a much happier place.

Time then to get squeezecenter installed

Thanks for the links, it helped point me in the right direction.

Simon C