Groundhog Day

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#1 Groundhog Day

Post by The Stratmangler »

Has anyone else tried the latest Squeezecenter release ?

I tried it, was wholly unimpressed with the sound quality (the tizz is back), and went back to 7.2.1

I also noted that the music file scan took an absolute age to complete.

If you meander over to the Slim forum the place has gone ballistic with "why this no work ?" type of comments.

Seems like we've been here before................

Chris :lol:
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Doesn't Logitech own it all now? :roll: Irony?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Greg wrote:Doesn't Logitech own it all now? :roll: Irony?
I believe so :(
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Groundhog Day

Post by Cressy Snr »

The Stratmangler wrote:Has anyone else tried the latest Squeezecenter release ?

I tried it, was wholly unimpressed with the sound quality (the tizz is back), and went back to 7.2.1

I also noted that the music file scan took an absolute age to complete.

If you meander over to the Slim forum the place has gone ballistic with "why this no work ?" type of comments.

Seems like we've been here before................

Chris :lol:
Hmm..........

That's strange.
I have had no problems with the 7.3 update on my G5 iMac.
Sound quality as far as I can tell is unchanged from 7.2.1 and it only took six minutes to rescan my music library of 5000 odd songs.

The default interface is much faster than 7.2.1 so I have no complaints
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

I set my laptop up with 7.3 and shifted between sources - I have 7.2.1 on my main machine.

Each time I changed sources I was prompted to upload firmware. The firmware installed each time was consistent with the Squeezecenter version ie. 7.2.1 had firmware version 113, and 7.3 had firmware version 120.

The result of around an hour and a half moving from one source to another was that I preferred the 7.2.1 version - the result was repeatable time after time.

Seeing as you are using Mac products and can notice no difference in sound quality when using 7.2.1 or 7.3, this throws up the possibility that the issue only occurs with Microsoft OS.

With there being around a half dozen versions of Squeezecenter under parallel development there is the possibilty that something is amiss in the Windows compatible version.

I have XP pro SP3 on both of my machines.

I will be running 7.2.1 for the foreseeable future because I prefer the sound.

Chris
:)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

I decided to give 7.3 another whirl today, only this time I went the extra mile. After uninstalling 7.2.1 and checking the program listing for any items not removed, I then used a registry cleaning programme (CCleaner)to remove any empty registry values remaining (ie hidden dead end entries). I then rebooted the machine, installed 7.3 and repeated my experiment from yesterday. This time the differences in sound quality were subtle to say the least.

After running the A/B tests I still prefer the sound quality of the 7.2.1 setup (just), but the sound differences now are very subtle, and not as glaringly obvious as yesterday.

Looks like my major upset was largely down to a PC issue that, frankly should not be a problem (still that's Microsoft products for you).

Chris :)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I'm curious to understand how cleaning the registry would affect the sound quality....surely the f/w would remain consistent and any apparent differences remain exactly the same...
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Neal wrote:I'm curious to understand how cleaning the registry would affect the sound quality....surely the f/w would remain consistent and any apparent differences remain exactly the same...
I'm curious too !

I suppose that's just PC's for you - occasionally odd things happen and you end up at a loss trying to explain them.

Chris :?