Schottky bridge problem

We all start somewhere
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hi Andrew,

I've DCed the lot - doing just the C3gs would be a pain as I'd have to rewire the heaters. Yuck! Is there any benefit to doing just the heaters, other than reduced current capacity and power through the reg?

Hopefully the LEDs are going tonight.

Simon.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Not especially, I had assumed you did just the C3g since doing them all off the one reg might be pushing the reg, its nearly 3 amps, after all.

But then you got a nice big heatsink, that was my problem when I tried it all off the one. I also had a 12v TX so I was asking the reg to chuck away too much voltage/power and therefore it was over-heating.

What I ended up with was one for the pentodes and one for the Aikido.

I expect it will be better with two, but I have no proof, what-so-ever.

cheers,

-- Andrew
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Yeh, the heatsink gets rather warm. Is it normal to smell warm mdf? :wink: In fact I'm just about to do the thermal calcs - I just bought a big heatsink from Farnell as I was in a rush. Now I've got it up and running it's an option to run the C3g and Aikido heaters from separate regs - one from each winding of the tx. Maybe after I've got the HT reg going.

Still sounding good today. I'm really surprised how much difference it's made.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Simon,

I run them both off the same winding, using a full wave reg. I raised boths reg as they are off the same windings.

cheers,

-- Andrew