I'm back off holiday

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 I'm back off holiday

Post by Paul Barker »

In case you wandered where I was, not that there has been anything posted I can comment on.

Back fully resolved to sack the apprentice. Lets see if I have the guts.
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Welcome back sinour Barker.

Pardon my french, it's appalling.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Wecolme back from Hols. Have courage and give him notice especially if he is costing you money!

I'm supposed to be off on holiday next Monday to Cancoon, Mexico, but with huricane Dean meant to hit this peninsula with a Category 5 I doubt very much we will be going.

So if it were me I'd definitely be in a mood to get rid the slacker!

Colin :(
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Yes, everyone should sack an apprentice, it's good for productivity.

I still haven't found an apprentice/helper worth taking on for more than a few days.
The last one i had, painted an outside wall and then sat on it for some time, before he realised it was wet.

Another one splashed paint on someones outside light. He then decided that rather than clean it he would paint the lamp cream. He then decided it would be easier to take the lamp down and then paint it. I got a phone call that night from the customer asking where the outside light was.
I eventually found it hidden in a nearby bush. He had taken it apart and lost all the screws and so couldn't re-assemble it. He was a great help.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

does that mean I can keep his(the apprentice) stanley knife????
hope you had a good time btw.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Well he's fortunate that a roofer friend of mine likes him and has offered him a job. He will have to see how his parents react though.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

He's gone, taken up the opportunity of a job with my m8. Much less intelligence required for roofing.

The problem is that gas fitting is a high level qualification, I put it on a parr with an HND or a basic pass degree. Yet the schools send the failures to attempt to become apprentices, when they are not competent in key skills. Mine after a year was still having to go back into his college to try and gain keyskills. You know if I have four apples and take a way two how many oranges are in my hand now?

He was as thick as a plank.

If anyone is interested the mental aptitude to get fully electrical qualified was far less than that to get corgi registered. Quite amaised me really how simple it was.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yet the schools send the failures to attempt to become apprentices,
Do you think they percieve that such "manual" jobs are at the low end of the market, and so only the "failed" kids should go for them?

Combine that with what seems to be a lack of kids learning the "harder" subjects like science and maths, and you have to worry a bit :-(
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes basically they misjudge the intelligence required for the tecnical aspects of the work.

There aren't going to be many people capable of fault finding diagnosing and specifying when this generation of new entrants are in charge.

It won't be good for the environment as we move ever more towards throw it away and build another one as soon as it goes wrong consumerism, which we are already irevocably entrenched in where tv's videos and puters are conscerned..

If the government were genuinly green they would make a ruling that things should be made repairable.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

That's why I do the job I do! (I'm ded fick me!) :D