Linux and HDD upgrades

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
SimonC
Old Hand

#1 Linux and HDD upgrades

Post by SimonC »

Hi folks,

I need a quick bit of guidance from the linux guru's :)

My media server (basically LMS running on a ubuntu shoebox) is in need of more storage space. I know the quick fix is just to plug an external USB drive into it, but this has some disadvantages with where its located, and backups are not that easy....anyway, its running two HDD's configured as a software driven raid mirror using the normal linux setup routines. What is the best way to go about swapping these out for larger ones without having to start from scratch with a fresh install?

I know I could just pull one, plug in the new drive and let raid figure out how to cope, then do the same for the other drive, but this doesn't seem the most elegant way to achieve what I'm after...

Any suggestions? or should I just bite the bullet and fresh install then copy the data across...?

Cheers
Simon C
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I guess install the new disks, set up new raid array, copy data. I dont know if there is any better way.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Trying to remember what I did before, although different OS.

Probably something like, copy current boot disc to a second HDD (not bootable, HDD No. 2, external, etc.)

Disconnect No. 2 and swap in new bigger HDD and configure & format as bootable. Needs some kind of system / install disks. (?)

Reconnect No. 2 and copy it onto new boot disk.

:?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."