Augmented cathode follower.

We all start somewhere
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Augmented cathode follower.

Post by pre65 »

Having read (but not yet understood) the article about augmented cathode followers, I need to ask a question or two.

Here is the article.

http://www.jrossmacdonald.com/jrmpubs/0 ... llower.pdf

On the examples shown the power supply is a twin rail affair, with pos and neg voltages, but not of equal value. So, in practical terms are we talking about a single supply (with plus and minus equal voltage somehow adapted) or two separate supplies, one for pos V and the other for neg V ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That's the trouble with these things, such details are not explained fully.

Personally I think it's plus & minus rails, that way in and out are at zero DC, or near enough.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I hadn't appreciated that, but it looks like all the examples are configured for input and output at the same level, as Mike says . It looks like it would probably upset the symmetry of the thing to configure it for a large +only supply, and there would also then be a cap somethere in the middle too - the advantage as it is designed there is no cap in the direct signal path .

The supplies will only need to be up to 30-40 mA on each side, if that helps - if you can find a suitable transformer and/or voltage doublers etc .

Nick is the expert on this of course :D as I know he built an ACF2 for the Eimac 100TH driver and maybe also a 211 amp .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I think he used it on the OwstonBarker/Gorham 833a too, IIRC the CF O/P could be wound up and and down on a DC level which in turn drove the DC bias of the grid more and more +ve.

Or summat.

Like.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Dave the bass wrote:I think he used it on the OwstonBarker/Gorham 833a too, IIRC the CF O/P could be wound up and and down on a DC level which in turn drove the DC bias of the grid more and more +ve.

Or summat.

Like.

DTB
correct.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

To get the different rail Voltages for those pdf ccts I expect you could start with equal + & - rails (i.e. a bridge-rectified full-wave TX), then use dropper resistors, decoupled to ground afterward with caps. :?:

I noticed figs 2 - 4 are very like op-amps in basic shape.

Fig 9 is clever, notice 'Ro' can be used to set the o/p to zero relative to ground?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep two supply rails. The paper is describing the cathode followers, not trying to be a set of easy to follow instruction.

But with respect I would suggest (as I think Dave is trying to do) understanding the problem before trying to understand the solution.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.