Squeezebox Duet with Mac

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
PeteC
Old Hand

#1 Squeezebox Duet with Mac

Post by PeteC »

Hi

now that I have switched to a macbook for my music and recording I decided to dig out the old squeezebox duet and give it a go with the Mac as a music server.

I have downloaded and installed the latest LMS sofftware , but am stumped when it comes to getting the controller and squeezebox actually recognised and up and running.

Any tips ( hoping Steve might be able to chip in , and anyone else Mac-based. )

Cheers
Pete
Life is two shirts
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

nearly there - did the factory reset on controller and now the server and controller can see the SB. Cant seem to add the controller as a second player though yet.

Pete
Life is two shirts
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I had this on a controller Pete, you need to enable playback after a factory reset, under 'beta features', enable playback or summat. SB then see's the controller as a playback device.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

Thanks Dave thats sorted it !
now up and running on both players

One last issue now is that LMS tries to get playlists from itunes and tries to included store bought downloads so itunes repeatedly keeps asking for password which is correct but it doesn't seem to recognise.

LMS seems to be tricky with itunes.

I can solve by shutting off the LMS server but its a pain

Oh well - at least I have streaming to the living room and the handheld controller again.

cheers
Pete
Life is two shirts
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

PeteC wrote:Thanks Dave thats sorted it !
now up and running on both players

One last issue now is that LMS tries to get playlists from itunes and tries to included store bought downloads so itunes repeatedly keeps asking for password which is correct but it doesn't seem to recognise.

LMS seems to be tricky with itunes.

I can solve by shutting off the LMS server but its a pain

Oh well - at least I have streaming to the living room and the handheld controller again.

cheers
Pete
All you need to do is to ask LMS not to use iTunes as its library. It is just a matter of unchecking a box then pointing LMS at your preferred library.
LMS will then rescan your library according to your new instruction and you will have no further issues.

But I can't remember where to find the checkbox. Maybe Chris (Stratmangler) could comment.

I agree that LMS can be a pain in the arse if it is set to use iTunes as its library. Things have improved significantly with the latest iTunes 11 but tagging in iTunes used to be complete crap. Positively turn of the century Microsoftian in its my way or the highway method of tagging.

it would often throw LMS into a complete fit causing it to crash when scanning. I abandoned iTunes quite quickly in the days of the SB3 and slimserver.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

Many thanks Steve

I'll set up separate library folder on the mac and point LMS to that instead

also thinking of using my redundant Pentium4 PC as a music server stored in the garage attached to the side of the house - doesn't really matter if its left on permanently, even if its fan is a bit noisy. Then I can use duet controller to cue stuff up in the house from it.

cheers
Pete
Life is two shirts
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

SteveTheShadow wrote:But I can't remember where to find the checkbox. Maybe Chris (Stratmangler) could comment
I wish I could, but I've never used iTunes to manage any part of my library, so I've never had to integrate it with LMS.

I've just had a good dig around my server settings and can't find any iTunes relevant boxes to tick.
My server is a very basic Zyxel NSA310 NAS, and Zyxel manage the plugin apps, so they may have removed it.
Chris :happy3:
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Server Settings >> Plugins >> iTunes ;)
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

Hi,

Managed to get LMS set up on the mac ok, but thinking it thru I realised that I'd like to have a music server permanently on tap.

So I dug out the old Pentium 4 box and installed FreeNAS on it.

But after a very frustrating 2 nights trying to copy across my music files from the mac, I had to give up. despite having a spare 250GB drive in the frenas box, I kept getting "not enough space" errors when trying to copy mp3 files across from the macbook.

then I tried Vortexbox, and what can I say ? - everything worked 100% first time, CD ripping straight to disc is a dream, LMS runs perfectly and the set up found my Squeezebox easily. I can access and move files from the mac or PC easily to the Vortex box sitting in the garage, and all 11,500 mp3 files I have on the mac copied across to the Vortexbox without a hitch during the day yesterday while I was at work.

Though my squeezebox duet controller has a dead battery at moment I can still cue up tracks on LMS using my iphone. Smooth as a babys derriere....

Rgds
Pete
Life is two shirts