Rectification straight from mains

We all start somewhere
little eddy
Old Hand

#1 Rectification straight from mains

Post by little eddy »

I'm thinking of testing some small valves on the bench and will probably be looking for something between 250 and 325V DC.

Is there any safety or technical reason why with suitable on/off switching and a fuse I can't just rectify straight from the mains? The reason I ask is that I seen an amp design where the main tx had an input of 240V, and one of the used output windings was 0-240V!
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yikes! there are several good reasons why this isn't recommended.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Buy yourself a decent isolation transformer. :)

Afterwards you could use it in your system to isolate the more sensitive bits like preamp and CD player.

Something like this for £60 +

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/chas ... 00175.html
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Rectification straight from mains

Post by Paul Barker »

little eddy wrote:I'm thinking of testing some small valves on the bench and will probably be looking for something between 250 and 325V DC.

Is there any safety or technical reason why with suitable on/off switching and a fuse I can't just rectify straight from the mains? The reason I ask is that I seen an amp design where the main tx had an input of 240V, and one of the used output windings was 0-240V!
The main problem is the earthing arrangement. The only way it is possible is to half wave rectify, but it isn't safe or allowed.

As suggested if you get an external 240v isolating transformer you can play as if it is the mains but it isn't.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein