Decca arm rewire

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Arm is brilliant thanks Mark, very very pleased with it. I think it's more than just the arm though, the new stripped 103 is lovely in combo with it. So good in fact I'm just enjoying my latest purchases too much to faff any further for now :)

Latest are...

2nd hand Simply Vinyl copies of ...

MFSL 'YOTC' for £6.99 and a 180 grm copy of SD's last LP.

...also mint of early 'coloured 2 virgins' £1.99 copy of Shamal (only ever had it on cassette) and Italian 'Get Back' 180grm copy of 'You' from the Gong appreciation Society. Brand new (thats rare for me).

and finally charity find, Mint copy of Living Colours 2nd LP Time Up. An old fave band of mine. Awful experince live, I got kicked in the head by the singer :) It was an accident...I'd never experinced stage diving before! Didn't like it...

Thats all for now.

Howsabout you Mark? Happy with yer wobbler and black stuff?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Shopping trip to Tunbridge Wells bought this to my collection.

Ex cond first pressing, still with the spoof ad's on the inner sleeve and a woolworths sticker dated march 1977 on the inside of the outer jacket where it had been racked when new.

Ahh, brill.

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Blimey Dave, that takes me back. I had forgotton about that LP. And the idea of a 180g version of "You" is rather attractive...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Nice Work Dave .
Good on finding some SV Nick Drake. Still can't decide whether I think Nick's best record is Bryter Layter or Pink Moon, They are both so very very good . Keep on the lookout for any Pink Rim copies of BL or PM though, you may ( like I did ) find a good disc in a tatty cover, and the EBay collectors will not bother you on an item like that . I got my Bryter Layter for £40 .

Shame about the 'You' being on 'Get Back' records though . I refer to them as 'Get Back in the Sleeve' records, but you may have more luck than I did .

Mark
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:Blimey Dave, that takes me back. I had forgotton about that LP. And the idea of a 180g version of "You" is rather attractive...
Brilliant LP I think, Reefer Madness, Steppenwolf and Back on the streets are the biggies on the LP, the rest is a bit filler-ish but still enjoyable. Loads crop up on Fleabay but I always get outbid.

Re 'You'... http://www.planetgong.co.uk/octave/vinyl/12_you.shtml is where I got mine from Nick, the band don't see any money back from anything licensed from the 'Charley label' due to some contractual wranglings but at least they get a smidge of dosh by buying it from the GAS site. The 180 grm copies come from an Italian company under the name of 'Get Back', they've re-released a lot of Gong stuff in the past.

It's very good, much more 'lively' than the 1980's Virgin Re-issues IMO. The real gem though is the 1st part of the Trilogy 'Flying Teapot' on this Get Back reissue series. It's like it's been taken from a different master. It's got so much more detail and isn't as dark as the original release. Its all good stuff anyway.
Enjoy,
DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote:Nice Work Dave .
Good on finding some SV Nick Drake. Still can't decide whether I think Nick's best record is Bryter Layter or Pink Moon, They are both so very very good . Keep on the lookout for any Pink Rim copies of BL or PM though, you may ( like I did ) find a good disc in a tatty cover, and the EBay collectors will not bother you on an item like that . I got my Bryter Layter for £40 .

Shame about the 'You' being on 'Get Back' records though . I refer to them as 'Get Back in the Sleeve' records, but you may have more luck than I did .

Mark
I've just managed to snag PM on SV too for £17.99 to round off the ND Lp's. The Pink Rims just are going for dosh that I can't afford at the moment, if I do a few gigs this year I'll splash out on the proceeds :)

I like the 'Get Back' stuff personally, cheapish, quiet and available :) Like I said in Nicks reply 'Flying Teapot' is excellent but as stated on the GAS site Angel's Egg may have come from the CD master as it contains the 'Ooby scooby dooms day blues' on it which only appeared as a 'bonus' on Angels egg on the re-issued/remastered Charley CD a few years back AFAIK. That one track was on the original 'Live Etc' vinyl release anyway... some bonus huh.

DTB

DTB
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Perhaps I'll get that 'Easter Everywhere' ( 13th Floor Elevators ) fronm 'Get Back' out again and have another listen .

ILPS
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote:Perhaps I'll get that 'Easter Everywhere' ( 13th Floor Elevators ) fronm 'Get Back' out again and have another listen .

ILPS
13th Floor Elevators, didn't Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top used to play for them?

DTB

EDIT. Nope just researched, he played in the Moving Sidewalks who did a song called 99th Floor which was a dedication with the 13th floor blah blah blah!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Mark... seen this :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26ps%3D42

'ow much :lol:

Thanks for putting us onto ND BTW. FLL, BL and PM are on continuous rotation, Julie loves it too, wonderful stuff.

I'm a 3rd of the way through Trevor Danns book on him, VERY interesting reading.

Ta matey,

DTB

EDIT. Heard Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu on the radio at work today, that'll be getting an airing for the first time in 14 years via headphones later tonight to break the ND cycle :D
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

£700 is a bit silly - I've got the CD and it is fine - it was £3-99 and I know that price doesn't matter to the chap with everything but this LP but burrrrrrlimey!

Birds of Fire - yes it has been a while. I have two Mahav.LPs and there are a few really cool riffs. Actually, I best like teh contrast of Mahav.John and Carlos Sanatana on Love Devotion and Surrender 'A Love Supreme' LP... I must dust that down and give it a blast! That has been a long time.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I feel quite smug Dave, cos mine's in better nick than that !
Andrew , you are not paying the holy IslandPink the respect it deserves , talking about digital in the same sentence .
Infidel ! Infidel !

ILPS
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

yeah I know, I know, forgive me oh pinkyisland, ....but I could do an awful lot with £700 :wink:

erm I did just buy one of these pink island Blodwyn Pig LPs ... at least teh cover is pink - did I miss something?

NOt on Island but .... Anyone remember Dr Dunbar's Prescription (Aynsley Dunbar) ??? I have a riff going round in my head and .... well it was nearly 40 years ago.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

probably old news but this is a good site for values

http://www.popsike.com/index.html
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#104 Pig

Post by IslandPink »

That is a useful site David, thanks for reminding me.

Andrew, you have redeemed yourself by mentioning the great Blodwyn Pig . But of course , 'Ahead Rings Out' is one of the great Island Pinks , on the 2nd type black block pink label of course. Let me just check 'Getting to This ' ....green Chrysalis (Island) ILPS 9122 yes . Top stuff .

ILPS
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

<insert extreme anger smiley>

Remember how happy I was with this...? All that fettling and learning? All the money and shipping over Europe to get it stripped?

Well 2 twits (Julie and Son) have trashed the Nekkid 103 in a joint attempt. (Don't ask). Both are currently in the doghouse having bent the cantilever last night.

'Miffed' of Dartford.

DTB