Further Adventures in Computer Audio Land

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Ray P wrote:Here are some pictures of gizmo in action Max.....

Ray
Max, just to let you know that you can configure the Gizmo interface (and the web browser interface to J River) within J River MC's options section. I've now tweaked the interface to suit my preferences (so, for example, I now have a 'composer' category.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

I received the new rear panel for my music server from schaeffer a couple of days back, which has facilitated the implementation of the i2s interface to my dac; the i2s output is derived from the Juli@ soundcard and routed via an HDMI cable to the dac (HDMI cable is simply used as a convenient cable and the interface doesn't utilise HDMI standards).

Anyway, as one might expect, the i2s interface improves the sound compared with the previous spdif coax I've been using. The music seems to come from a quieter background and is more focused.

I'll post some pictures shortly.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

I've moved on a bit with my music server; it now has a 480Gb solid state disk that holds my music library (previously the library was on my home server where I was running short on disk capacity as it also holds backups, pictures and videos).

Having loaded the library onto the SSD I set about tackling inconsistencies with the metadata. I've been using a tool called Bliss that will trawl through the library and compare it against rules you set up in Bliss so I now have consistent naming, paths, album art, genres etc. A tool worth a look if you care about this aspect of computer audio.

http://www.blisshq.com/

Next step is probably a linear power supply to replace the switch mode brick, utilising one of Paul Hynes' modules.

Ray
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Where did you get the ssd Ray?
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Hi Ali, I bought it from ebuyer.

Ray