Ubuntu One

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Ubuntu One

Post by Paul Barker »

Anyone use this?

You may remember I reverted my wifes work laptop to ubuntu when her xp died and the work computer department didn't fix it satisfactorily after a very long period of time, so we decided to take matters into our own hands.

Anyway while ubuntu was updating yesterday I killed it as I forgot it was doing so and turned it off so the new version was half finished and the old version dead.

No matter I booted from dvd got files off and reinstalled.

At least ubuntu is safe that way.

But it inspired me to try the online storage and to synch my android SII with it. I paid for 20gb with the free 5gb I should have adequate.

Don't know why it took me so long to get round to this.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh bother it seems Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is having issues with sound and the various gurus suggestions on forums to fix it when copied and pasted into terminal don't work for me just as they don't work for the other people who tried their suggestions.

That's what you get for being overconfident about how user friendly ubuntu is at last...
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Maybe I should just shout at it: SUDO turn on sound now!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You may find that using a non LTS build may get fixes for hardware quicker.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

does LTS stand for "evaluation version?"

It may sort itself out before I need sound so I'll leave it for now and wait.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Not the opposite, it stands for long time support.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Its aimed at users that want stable operation, but that may mean that the hardware support is not as up to date as other builds.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

OH
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

After a taking a couple of days to just get 7gb of my allowed 25gb into the world wide webernet the computer is working fast again. I think I selected the fast option for Ubuntu 1 which means everything else is a delayed reaction.

Anyway now the essential documents are out there in space, things are fast again, and I can see my documents from anyones machine if I so wish.

I think it has legs.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Like magic sound works today. Maybe an upgrade fixed the fault.