garrard 301/401 record deck

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
john.beard
New User

#1 garrard 301/401 record deck

Post by john.beard »

have various 301`s and 401`s and would like to date them.does anyone know where i can find this out?thanks
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I can recommend a few dating sites, but not sure they cater for your particular needs. :wink: :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Perhaps he means find out the date of manufacture of his 301's and 401's, but then I'm sure you know this Phil, hey :roll: :wink:

Does such a database exist?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

witty, very witty! and well meant. But surely all one needs to do is google garrard and follow the links. Thre is tons of stuff out there!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Welcome John,

Going on from Dave C's post to Garrardmatters, here's a thread on that forum that will be of help.

http://garrardmatters.freeforums.org/da ... -t136.html
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I did have a look at Dominic Harper's forum and was quite surprised to find I am wrong about the 301 being better than the 401, or it has a lot of idiots on it.

Which is the truth I don't honestly know. Maybe for once I am in the wrong.

But I am happy with my 301 and I do recall when asking my mate Darren his opinion at a time he had many 301's of every generation and quite a few 401's he also agreed the 301 was vastly superior in Slate Plinths.

He also confirmed the other thing I discovered at that time, the 301 was vastly superior to any Lenco. (lenco heaven was it? Never been back!)

So that's also a forum I find no resting place.

So I was not alone in forming my fixed opinion.

I did find though that the SP10 was about the same, maybe it can be made better than a 301. Let's face it a 301 is fixed in time, there isn't much opportunity to improve it (OK Jeremy Epstein showed how to improved it in SP, but hist tittling isn't much needed it's guilding the Lilly) whereas the SP10 with all it's complexity must surely offer opportunities.

Me I fear the complexity as you all know.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

Post by Thermionic Idler »

My take is that results will depend to a far greater extent on what condition your unit is in, than whether it is a 301 or a 401. A well fettled 401 will sound vastly superior to a 301 in need of TLC and the converse will be true also.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I think most people would be hard pressed to hear any difference between the two if they both in the same condition,
I think this whole urban myth is down to snobbery based to a large extent on the Japanese market where the 301 sold sold well for lots of money
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

hmmm, what Garrardmatters need is more people posting and more discussions. It is still a very small forum. So Paul, why don't you go over there and write about your experience with your 301? I'm sure it will be appreciated. At least we could start some discussions!
I like my 401, and don't see the need to change it for something else,
although I also have an EMT 938, I like the 401 better. It's more fun.
- Jan -
ed
retired

Post by ed »

the bonfire of hype will never quite go out, some fewl will always come along and stick another log on.....

swidt

isn't this the 'new users' forum?

see what the dentist did to Ed's sense of humour....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

slowmotion wrote:hmmm, what Garrardmatters need is more people posting and more discussions. It is still a very small forum. So Paul, why don't you go over there and write about your experience with your 301? I'm sure it will be appreciated. At least we could start some discussions!
I like my 401, and don't see the need to change it for something else,
although I also have an EMT 938, I like the 401 better. It's more fun.
I don't really have any great knowledge or experience of vinyl. I prefer to talk about things I am good at.

If they want to hear my views about those things they can come here.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein