safety and speed of operating systems nick?

Subjects that don't have their own home
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks for the offer Nick, it's much appreciated. Hopefully it's working now.

When I burnt the original disk with Nero it just copied the .iso file. Using InfraRecorder as shown on the Ubuntu site it burnt the files fine. The laptop is now sat with a black screen and a flashing cursor. Been like that for a while but there's varying noise from the cd drive so hopefully it's doing something. I'm off out again for a bit so I'll leave it to get on with it...

On the up side I got the headphone amp up and running this morning and it's sounding rather good :D
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ok, you will have made a disjk containign a single iso file, instead a disk that used the iso file as its image. You can do it in nero, but its not obvious.
On the up side I got the headphone amp up and running this morning and it's sounding rather good
Great, though I don;t know why you are posting that here, I thought this forum was about computers :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Your not wrong! Much easier using InfraRecorder and following the instructions.

Three hours of a blank screen, a flashing cursor and random reading of the cd and I decided to reboot as nothing seems to have happened. It looks to have done the same again - the Ubuntu logo comes up and the orange bars moves left and right for a bit, then the blank screen. No messages, nothing. Perhaps the laptop's just too old.

Promise to post in the headphone section later :lol:
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

It is worth waiting for.

Not bothered with a headphone amp myslf.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

You're lucky Paul. The hi fi shares a room with the idiot lantern - sometimes headphones are the only way here. Such is life, I can't complain on balance - not every one would put up with the dining table permanently strewn with valve paraphernalia and HT voltages on the living room carpet...
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

simon wrote:not every one would put up with the dining table permanently strewn with valve paraphernalia and HT voltages on the living room carpet...
err mmm, my wife would consider that a lot better than she has to put up with.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

There, knew I would get it printing eventually.

Managed it at last with HPLIP.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well done. One of the points with GNU/Linux is that if there is a problem, there are no secrets, so eventually it should be possible.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I was over in York at 10 oclock the other night fixing a combi for students, one of them was a web builder. I said I use ubutu, he then showed me he did too, and was a major linux evangelist also. He directed me to hplip.

However when I got home it didn't apear in applications/add remove programs where he said to loook, but from a google search there was a self installing version on the hp website.

Sadly I have installed it on my desktop, but at least I've got it.

Then yesterday another customer seemed to be a computer bod for a local school, he spotted me using the puter to do his Periodic Inspection, "ah you have a think pad". "Oh you are using linux", he then shrunk into a panicing nervous wreck who seemed to know nothing outside the world of Microsoft.

I baited him a bit in my subtle way, by going on about how much inevitable bloatware there was on microsoft and how expensive it must be for his school for the license. £10,000 no less!

I don't think he'll be changing because he was a spineless gutless fool without sufficient intelligence to do the conversion, based on my nursing knowledge of non verbal communications. His lips were assenting but his body language was a rabbit caught in the headlights.

His electrical install was bad too. The main earth conductor didn't arrive at the consumer unit from the main earth block at the head, and he had installed an outside socket without rcd protection. Obviously knows as much about that as he does computers.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I baited him a bit in my subtle way, by going on about how much inevitable bloatware there was on microsoft and how expensive it must be for his school for the license. £10,000 no less!
Worth remembering that next time your childs school says it can't afford another teaching assistant.

Also you need to add the cost of the hardware, which will be higher than it could be as it will need to run XP.

And then you look at what they do with the computers. My kids have been taught how to use just about only MS products, Word, Powerpoint, Access, Excel.

Not that the MS apps will be the same by the time they need a job. Not bad though is it, MS get paid from our money, to help train a new generation to belive that MS products is the only choice. Advertising on that level normaly costs money, not pays money to the maker.

Slight rant mode off.