DSOTM 2011 Remastered CD

Share the music that moves you.......
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 DSOTM 2011 Remastered CD

Post by Toppsy »

Last night Chris came around and gave me a copy of this Pink Floyd remaster.

I had a listen over lunch today through my Edingdale speakers fed by my 300b SETs and Unity gain pre with Silk TVAs.

Can't say I'm impressed. The remastering engineer seems to have taken the edge off the original recording and somehow rounded over the edges and smoothed the sound out some. Hard to describe really. It doesn't have the same sparkle, attack and impact as my original vinyl copy. Perhaps I'm hearing the difference between my vinyl ssetup and Cd player?

Anyone else heard or got a copy they have found the same?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh lordy wish they wouldn't "fiddle". Just take out the tape hiss, job done.

Won't be getting one soon then. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mmm I was going to get it but after reading this I will just stay with my vinyl Copy as well then :D
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

I've just bought the remastered vinyl copy and as all I have to compare it to is a rather worn original 'standard' vinyl copy and a CD I paid three quid for in the nineties, I have to say it sounds a lot lot better than both of those.

However, if memory serves me well it sounds pretty much the same as the original vinyl copy I bought on the day it was released in 1973. That is - good.

I remember the day well, stopped at the wine cellar shop under the bridge at Holborn and bought two litre bottles of white French plonk, stopped again at the record shop at Ludgate Circus to buy the record, then back to my bedsit at Blackheath where I listened to it about 22 times whilst drinking the wine, enthralled.

The 'system' I played it on was a generic BSR deck/amp with ceramic cartridge driving a pair of quite big and deep speakers with 3" full range drivers, which I remember sounding good. It was made by a firm named 'Ultra' which I later learnt was a name Ferguson used.

My new copy cost £18 inc postage from HMV, is heavyweight vinyl and came with the original stickers and posters and an extra poster. You know those posters, the ones that were stuck on walls in student dorms and bedsits everywhere at the time.

And that is definitely the last time I am going to purchase this musical extravaganza.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes I remember those stickers and things, still got the record but lost the bits, stickers were never actually used so dunno where they went.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

The Floyd must be the most extravagantly retreaded band ever. How soon for the hires downloads with extra brass added - by you not the record company?
In single malt we trust.