Squeezebox volume settings

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Mo
Old Hand

#1 Squeezebox volume settings

Post by Mo »

Ok folks, my RWA SB3 has arrived, i've set it up running through my KEL84, I'd like to disable the remote control volume and use the KEl84 for volume, do I set the SB volume to 100 to disable it?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Without removing it entirly, yes.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

My memory is a very fuzzy on this but yes set it too max 100 and just use the vol control on your Kel. I recall reading a thread on the SD forums about how the SB volume works by reducing the word length of the DAC...down from 24bits to 16 etc. so the perceived wisdom is to set it at max for best fidelity.....or something like that!
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

There is also a setting to disable the volume control but I can't remember if that's just for the S/PDif.

Personally I can't tell any difference with the volume control disabled or not.

Has everyone seen the new SB Receiver and controller from Slim Devices? I've been trying to find out if the new unit's I2S is compatible (and accessible) with the TDA1541A but no-one is answering me on the Slim Devices Forum. So I'm guessing it's the same as SB3. (ie you need a bucket of logic to convert the format)

Tony
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Thanks guys, at the moment volume is the least of my problems. I've installed and uninstalled slimserver a few times and still slimserver will not play, yet all the music files are visible, just keeps saying player not found, windows for you :(
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Mo,

Have you selected the server in the SB3 network settings wizard? ie power off and on and go through manually and select the correct server. Once that's done the SlimServer interface usually then displays the SB.

Cheers,
Tony
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Hi Tony,

It's working again but seems to take forever to start when i boot up the laptop. I'm using a straight connection with a crossover cable. And still no slimserver in the sys tray, yet it's showing up in the windows startup and services, I have to go to the start menu to manually start slimserver.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I don't want to take Mo's thread too far off-topic.....Tony, I'm finally getting around to mod my SBII with the TentLabs X03, do you have a pic or a document showing where I need to pick up the clock and SPIDF?

I can work it out but I'm feeling lazy! LOL.
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Hi Neal,

If you haven't heard from Tony, if you like i can send you tony's SB mods document.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

Sorry, I should've posted. I've sent Neal the document. I hope it's of some use.

Cheers,
Tony
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Sorry Guys, forgot to get back to you. Yes the doc is what I'm after thanks Tony.

The SB3 is a bit different to the SB2 so I'll have to work out where to pick the SPIDF up from. Not got around to yet....