Hi From Down Under

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
geetee6man
User

#1 Hi From Down Under

Post by geetee6man »

Hi everyone,

Well I am back to real music after a looooooooooong break! You know, the time when listening to music was an event, from the un-sleeving of the disc, the careful handling and placing on the turntable, careful cleaning, then lining it all up before lowering the stylus to the record and sitting back to enjoy the music!
I was only ever an amateur - My first real system was a Dual CS 505-2 (wooden case), a NAD 3130 amplfier and a couple of Goodmans Speakers (I forget the model), to which I later added a pair of Wharfedales. A fairly basic set up by the standards of many here I am sure, but I was young and it was all I could afford and so much beter than the integrated Technics system (with linear tracking) I was replacing! I well remember going out to the (proper) audio Shop in Aylesbury to try different set ups, I would love to repeat that experience!
Sadly, some germ stole everything bar the deck from me some years later and although I did buy a Sony 4.1 amp to replace it all with the insurance money, life intervened and I never really got the same sound again. Then of course the electronic/digital world took over and I could never convince my wife of the attractions of vinyl, the Sony Amp went and the new amp had no phono input. However, somehow I could never part with my old, beautiful Dual deck and it survived (barely) several moves, including one from UK to Australia. Recently, I bought myself a Behringer PP400 compact Phono pre-amp and set the system up. He was a bit reluctant to go and I know I need to open him up and lubricate a few linkages, also I had to get a new drive belt, which I supplemented with a new stylus (OM 20). For now, the deck is connected through my PC, which enables me to record tracks for the car, mp3 and myriad other devices which we seem to have accumulated since I was young! Probably not the best set up, but it is surreal to sit here typing and listening to my beloved deck once again! However, in a few weeks my wife returns to UK to visit relatives and she might just return to find the deck playing through my modern Onkyo amp through my not so modern Kef Codecs! :D
However, for it to stay there, I do need to locate and fit a couple of hinges for the lid. Sadly, during the many moves I made (I used to be in the Armed forces, so many, many moves were necessary), I lost one of the lid hinges. Does anyone know where I can get a hinge for a wooden cased Dual CS 505 deck, new or secondhand? (They have 2 prongs which mate with similar holes in the wooden case and are different from the cheaper, plastic/metal cased decks). I am trying to find a secondhand deck for spares or repairs, but it's not easy over here. As my wife is visiting UK soon, I could find one there, but if someone can sell and send a hinge (or a pair) to Australia, I will be very happy!
Help an old Audiophile and his deck to live again!

All the best and keep it vinyl!

Simon
chris661
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Hi From Down Under

Post by chris661 »

geetee6man wrote:Hi everyone,

Well I am back to real music after a looooooooooong break! You know, the time when listening to music was an event, from the un-sleeving of the disc, the careful handling and placing on the turntable, careful cleaning, then lining it all up before lowering the stylus to the record and sitting back to enjoy the music!

All the best and keep it vinyl!

Simon
Sounds similar to when I (on occasion) use vinyl. Other than that, I'm a typical teenager that uses an iPod (though I do try to keep the birates high!)

Anyway, welcome to the forums. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out with the hinge. (Would it be possible to make one?)

Chris
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Welcome!

getting scarce these days - eBay?!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

GeeTee6man? As in
Image ?

I had one of these once:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
geetee6man
User

Post by geetee6man »

Hi, thanks for the answers, I am trawling ebay with not much success - missed a deck recently and otherwise, they seem to go for a lot of money, especially down here.
Geetee6man is indeed related to a Triumph GT6, in my case, a later Mk III, but all the Triumphs went when we moved down under, the last was a Triumph Herald convertible, leaving only the email address as a legacy, I guess I could use a new name now - vee12eman, as that is what followed me out here. However, don't for goodness stsrt me on my other passion or we'll be here for ever!
I'll keep looking, but if anyone has any ideas, I will be grateful

Simon.
Last edited by geetee6man on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nice garage an' all

</insane jealousy mode>

Greetings BTW Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
geetee6man
User

Post by geetee6man »

Thanks for the compliment Mike, actually, garages of this size are relatively mormal down here, a major attraction in the move. The car is a labour of love, a home restoration; owned for eight years and bought for £2000 as a complete wreck (although incomplete in terms of parts supplied and holes in the bodywork!) However, as this is not really the place to talk cars, I must rein in my urge to rabbit on and on...

Take a look at the "XKE Data" site (search in google) if you are interested, type 1S50097BW into the Browse cars link on the left of the page and you will see my car ... being a new user I can't post complete links yet!

Still looking for a hinge, but thanks for the support and I will keep looking.

Regards,

Simon
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Well having drained the family budget on jags just prior to changing drains to valves, all I can say is deep pockets needed. In my opinion a waste of money.
geetee6man
User

Post by geetee6man »

I can't let that go unanswered! Of course, all are entitled to their opinion, but the car hasn't cost much, certainly much less than anything modern that has anthing like the charisma. I don't do it because it's cheap. I don't do it because the car is the best in the world, though it is definitely my favourite, I do it because I enjoy it and in terms of value for money, NOTHING has ever come close, but if you don't like maintenance, car restoration or anything like that, of course you are right.
I know however, that the vast majority of people believe an all abiding interest in Audio Equipment will say exactly the same about that and they too will be right, at least from their point of view. So remember that as far as I am concerned, you are wrong, completely and utterly and I wonder why you would even bother to say such a thing on this style of forum, because it is guaranteed to offend.
Anyway, this is not the place and I will say no more about cars - remember I didn't start it! My Dual is sounding better than ever and I may have found a source of hinges, we'll see and I'll post again if I find them and share my source.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Don't mind Paul. :wink:

I'd love to have such a superb classic car, and I admire your skills at restoring it.

Feel free to elucidate about the E whenever you like, I will be interested. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Obviously you wouldn't have the same view. To do what you do and hold my view would be daft.

But there are other people's views and experiences, or we would all be driving V12 Jags.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Not with the bloody price of fuel here we wouldn't!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

geetee6man wrote:actually, garages of this size are relatively normal down here
<insane jealousy mode!> :evil:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
geetee6man
User

Post by geetee6man »

Hi again,
I did find some hinges, one (which I bought) by asking an advertiser on ebay, the others by trawling the net. I tried to post the sites on here but I am too new a member to be allowed to post URLs so if you want a source of Dual (and other brands) spares, new and new old stock, then you'll have to contact me.

Thanks to those that showed an interest

/* Added by nick */

http://www.forthegroove.com
http://www.audioproz.com

Simon