Headphone amp ?

For anything about cans, and the amplifiers that drive them
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Headphone amp ?

Post by pre65 »

Hi-i am not really into headphones,but i might want to in the future.

Can i use the output from a DAC to feed headphones,or failing that the output from a valve pre ?

If so how ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
RSC
User

Post by RSC »

Hi Philip,

Output from a DAC: assuming you have a volume control here (otherwise, you'd be flat out volume all the time), you'd need a "two phono plug to jack socket" lead to make the connection and then you'd need to look at the headphones' impedance and how that would react with the DAC o/p voltage and o/p impedance.

Output from valve pre-amp: you've got the volume control, but still similar issues re. connections and electrical characteristics.

Unless you're talking Stax or similar, with their own energiser/pre-amp.

Be better to buy a cheap h/p amp (Creek, Project) or build one (WD do a valve kit), I'd have thought...
kuroguy
User

Post by kuroguy »

Phil,
If you want to try headphones I recommend you build the Starving Stdent Headphone amp (assuming you can source the 19J6 tubes). It can be built for beer money and sounds great. If you can't find 19j6 tubes you could always use 6j6 and substitute resistors for the tube heaters in the MOSFET load. you would need a slightly bigger power supply and a egulator or big resistor to drop the voltage for the 6 volt heaters. I'd do both heaters in series if I used 6j6. In fact, I plan to grab up a bunch of 6j6 for when I run out of 19J6.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

You could just buy a Beresford.The new 7520 is supposed to have a cracking headamp.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

You could just buy a Beresford.The new 7520 is supposed to have a cracking headamp.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Another cheap hybrid design using 12V supply and uses a 12AU7: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/Tube- ... phone-Amp/
labiteena
New User

Post by labiteena »

How can I convert a sony ericson headphone , to connect it to my lap top and use it for skype?? I bought a sony ericson headphone, without realing it was for the mobile phone. Is there any wire of some sort that could connect to my laptop the plug from the headphone( and mic combination) , which is compatible with a socket in the mobile but not the laptop.
Last edited by labiteena on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Depends on the connector that is on the headphones. You would normally need to get the headphone to end in a pair of 3.5mm jacks.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
kuroguy
User

Post by kuroguy »

Was thinking about this phil. build a mosfet source follower and feed it with your valve preamp. You should be able to do that for under $30. If you don't like it your down side is $30 and you learned about source followers in the process. You can feed the 3 channel version with a pair of cheap switching supplies. +- 12 volts works well.

http://phonoclone.com/diy_sze.html
"The magnet wire used to come from Radio Shack. In keeping with their policy of figuring out what the best products are and discontinuing them they no longer have it." - Max Robinson
rainy22
New User

Post by rainy22 »

As we all know that the most famous magic sound of Monster, the highest rate on the mirror is the Monster Studio headphones, NBA star,U.S. singers use this product, go to search it in Baidu or Google,choose their best one.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

rainy22 wrote:As we all know
Do we?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

rainy22 wrote:As we all know
Not me sunshine. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)