How long does a stylus last?

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

In my humble opinion a little dust gathered whilst playing is harmless.

I favour neither turntable plinth covers whilst playing vinyl nor those dust bug thingies. I have my reasons.

The most dust I gather is when playing a cheapo 2nd hand album from charity shop or wherever. Despite cleaning many harbor lottsa crap and by track 3 the stylus is a furball, lol

Lil brush, isopropyl alcohol, gently brush forward....
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

The Stratmangler wrote: I've always found that removing the dust cover altogether sounds better.
Actually, you might have a point!

Dave the bass wrote: And the dust bug!
Actually, you might have a point!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Double pointy thing alert.

It was over there a moment ago.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Mine wasn't 'dust bug', think it was called Dust-Doctor or something equally amusing.

Anyway as a point (sic) of future reference, because the hairs on the brush of this thing vibrate in the groove (well they would), this travels across the record and muddies up what the stylus is trying to get. That's my interpretation anyway.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Mine wasn't 'dust bug', think it was called Dust-Doctor or something equally amusing.

Anyway as a point (sic) of future reference, because the hairs on the brush of this thing vibrate in the groove (well they would), this travels across the record and muddies up what the stylus is trying to get. That's my interpretation anyway.
yep mine too :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I don't think I get more than 700 hours good sound out of a Denon 103R , which has a fairly large contact patch . I play a mixture of albums, some clean , some dirty .
Whenever I send them to Expert Stylus for retipping, they say something like 'diamond shows signifcant wear' on their report every time .

I can believe it, because when I get it back I realise how great they sound when new.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"