iTunes Downloads

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 iTunes Downloads

Post by Cressy Snr »

You know,
Every time anyone within the hi-fi press mentions iTunes (other download services are available) downloads particularly with reference to the sound quality of said downloads, we get the same old bollocks that they are somehow inferior sounding.

I say it is complete and utter elitist bullshit of the highest order.
The 256K AAC codec. I find to be indistinguishable from a CD and played back with a squeezebox touch there is nothing to fault with these downloads.

The 24/96 and other variants of Hi-Rez stuff I've bought from Linn's site is clearly better and so it ought to be, but compared to ripped-to-FLAC CD tracks, there is absolutely no difference at all.

Now either I have cloth ears, my system sucks or there is an innate prejudice against data reduced music files out there amongst the hi-fi press. We get listeners who somehow feel they are being diddled out of the complete experience or being less somehow less discriminating if they admit to enjoying downloaded music.

I've seen little evidence on here of that attitude but in some quarters you'd think iTunes downloads were the work of the Devil.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
brig001
Old Hand

Post by brig001 »

Maybe it's the player that makes the difference. My only audio source is an iPod, and I use it to play everything from lossless to 128kbps MP3 and podcasts. My iTunes downloads sound fine - but no better - [really picky mode on] the focus is not as good as it could be, so people sound like they have large mouths and instruments sound wide if that makes any sense.[really picky mode off] A lossless ALAC file ripped from a CD is definitely better.

But, is this the fault of the file or the iPod? Maybe a squeezebox handles these files better than an iPod so that the difference is less/non-existent. I hope this is the case as I wouldn't mind a squeezebox one day :D

Brian.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I agree with Steve, when I burn my iTunes purchases onto CD's then play them, they're as good as any other CD's.

What's interesting is that iTunes has their own compression algorithm, check out how large the iTunes downloaded files actually are. So what does that say about mp3? :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."