Designing single-ended output stages.

We all start somewhere
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Designing single-ended output stages.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Tyros.

The experienced people on here won't need this but I've found one of the simplest explanations ever about how to design single-ended valve output stages.

The process the author takes the builder through for SE output stages can equally be applied to choke loading small signal stages and setting up valves for interstage transformer coupling.

I for one have really struggled hard to understand how to do loadlines for transformer loaded stages and getting there has been painful to say the least. For example the choke loaded 76 driver I did for my 12E14 amp: it's a wonder it worked at all as the way I had it set up with the choke; it was biased into cutoff. :oops:

I just wish I had come across this earlier as it would have saved me a great deal of head scratching and frustration and public embarrassment on the other forum.

It's all about guitar amps but the guy has an easy-going informal writing style that explains in simple terms how to design all sorts of bits like SE output stages long tail pairs phase splitters constant current sinks and sources; in fact the whole gamut of stuff that we need to be conversant with as DIY audio enthusiasts.

I've linked to the SE output stage page but a click on the home link will take you to the home page.

http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard1/se.html

Steve
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Nice one Steve.

I've already got three similar articles printed off, but they all leave fundamental questions unanswered.
Maybe this will fill in some of the gaps.
Much to learn there is.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

It would be nice if I could read the entire article with my browser. The hosting advery covers most of it up :-(
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hmm

I have no problems with Safari or Firefox on the Mac but on Opera there is a huge orange bit below the last line which goes on forever before you get to the hosting ad (blue stripe) Does IE work correctly?

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Nick wrote:It would be nice if I could read the entire article with my browser. The hosting advery covers most of it up :-(
I can't see any adverts in Firefox?

Page looks just fine.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I am using a old copy of Mozilla, so I guess thats the problem.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.