Rapid did not fulfill a Back order

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

#1 Rapid did not fulfill a Back order

Post by colin.hepburn »

Ha Yes got a phone call from Rapid today regarding a back order for four 4u7 10V OSCON SC Electrolytic Capacitors of which ii received one with order
So three to come the caller said there suppliers would only supply a minimum batch of 500 but rapid said no so turns out I won't get the other three cap :shock: now I would have though rapid would order 500 no problem or I wonder do they know that OSCON Caps are no longer made
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I fear this is a sign of things to come. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote:I fear this is a sign of things to come. :(
What, in the Book of revelations sense?

And lo it came to pass that from the east came no solid electrolite caps, the sky became dark, and film caps were all around. And so on.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

No, silly !

I mean that the supply of standard descrete (ie non SM) components might start to dry up before too long.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

The opposite could be true, they can't make them fast enough to fill demand. Seen that happen as well.

Although does sound odd, min. qty of 500 is "too many", unless of course they mean to discontinue those items :?:

If it's any consolation I'm still waiting on 1 x 1mF originally meant for the power controller, and a couple of other things made it too late to get onto the board as well, so have become "spares"

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:The opposite could be true, they can't make them fast enough to fill demand. Seen that happen as well.

Although does sound odd, min. qty of 500 is "too many", unless of course they mean to discontinue those items :?:

If it's any consolation I'm still waiting on 1 x 1mF originally meant for the power controller, and a couple of other things made it too late to get onto the board as well, so have become "spares"

Perhaps
I have often wondered if these Caps the likes of the oscon and black gate for example if they are as good as the press and user reviews seem to claim why are they still not being make the Oscons are raved about in digital devices well we are in a digital world what happened it does look like the world is going SM and don't forget the resistors like the AN Tants and the Holco H4/H8 series and many more
PS anyone got one or three 4u7uf Oscon SC 10 volt
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

pre65 wrote:No, silly !

I mean that the supply of standard descrete (ie non SM) components might start to dry up before too long.
Nah. There was a discussion about this on diyAudio.

Capacitors will continue to get physically smaller, but resistors... A SMD resistor is usually rated at ~1/8w. For small-signal stuff, then yeah, I'd expect them to start creeping in, but their power ratings are tiny, so big aluminium clad resistors are here to stay.

They're not too difficult to solder anyway, so long as you can see the damn things... (try finding one on carpet).
ed
retired

Post by ed »

chris661 wrote:
Capacitors will continue to get physically smaller
are you sure?

but the idea of a plague of film caps paints a sexy mental picture.......yeah, bring it on if you dare!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I thought there already was "a plague of film caps", :D but the "wrong sort", i.e. not suitable for audio signals.

Chris is right SMD won't do high power. So I reckon there's always going to be axials etc. as required. Although just recently I found 1 Watt SMD's on RS, not too tiny either.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Mike H wrote:I thought there already was "a plague of film caps", :D but the "wrong sort", i.e. not suitable for audio signals.

Chris is right SMD won't do high power. So I reckon there's always going to be axials etc. as required. Although just recently I found 1 Watt SMD's on RS, not too tiny either.

are you sure you've got the right end of the stick......

Chris said they would get smaller........

'n I thought capacitance relied on surface area...perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Its surface area AND distance between plates, so if they are closer together they dont need to be bigger.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Its surface area AND distance between plates, so if they are closer together they dont need to be bigger.
yeahhhh that was my point....
chris661 wrote:

Capacitors will continue to get physically smaller
how can they get smaller if you need the surface area....or are we going into the nth dimension
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nano technology ? :wink:

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I was mostly talking about resistors BTW.

Didn't want to get involved in capacitors :D

ed
retired

Post by ed »

I've no idea where I've been this afternoon but I've certainly missed half the meaning of the posts I've been responding to.......

back to:

is it possible to get a 10000uf 63v cap in smd format? for example. Or, will it be possible in the future by getting the plates closer together, with the application of Moore's law or some such?