posting copyrighted circuit diagrams

Subjects that don't have their own home
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

#1 posting copyrighted circuit diagrams

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi All
OK I have Question on posting circuit diagrams I have a copyrighted circuit of my headphone amp that I was going to post here but as it copyrighted I declined to post it but if the circuit has not been changed but added to IE a different PSU or a component value changed what are the rulings on this I wouldn’t want to be in breech of copyright issues
The chap is still selling the headphone kits
Do you chap have any views on this
Thanks
Colin
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, I think if the circuit drawing is copyright and you make a altered copy of that, the altered copy is a derivitave work, and is still covered by the original copyright.

The DeCSS case ruled (In the US it should be said) that providing a link on a web page was activly "trafficking" in the document.

However, if instead of providing a link to the page i.e.

http://www.lurcher.org/nick/images/filreg1.jpg

The URL is repeated as text, then its just telling people where something is, which is ok. i.e.
However, I guess, if it was my circuit, and it was paying the bills, I would be less than happy.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

yep thats what i thou... unless he stops selling the kit or i ask his permission to use his circuit i guess
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes, the silly part, is that copyright doesn't actually prevent anyone from building a copy of his amplifier.

Coming at this from a Open Source prespective, what I should do with any of my docs (and would suggest the same to others) is to publish under creative commons.

http://creativecommons.org/

Not that any of mine are likely to be copied anyway :-)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nick wrote:Yes, the silly part, is that copyright doesn't actually prevent anyone from building a copy of his amplifier.
As I understand it, "Design Rights" are aimed at this type of copying.

cheers,

-- Andrew