DAC kit

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 DAC kit

Post by Ray P »

I'm looking to put together a new DAC that will be suitable for my hi-res FLAC file playback in the future and I'm interested in the RAKK DAC;

http://www.kandkaudio.com/digitalaudio.html

Plenty of optional modules for input and output options and an I2S capability on the DAC board leaves the door open to optimally interface to a network card (along the lines of the PS Audio Bridge) in the future.

Anyway, the RAKK DAC seems to be well regarded but just wondering if anyone has any experienceof it?

Ta muchly

Ray
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hi Ray, my friend Andy has a Rakk DAC. I am very impressed indeed; maybe the best DAC I have heard as yet - he prefers vinyl. The trouble is his system is pretty much the very bestest system I have heard - it is extraordinary.

But his DAC sounded excellent at my place too. Although his heart isn't in it, he has started building another radical DAC design and I am thinking about mugging him, when he isn't looking and running off with the RaKKDAC.

Of course if he reads this I guess I'm in trouble! shhhhh (looks furtive)
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Andrew, that's really useful.

Do you know what output module he's using; K&K offer a simple passive version, using Llundahl transformers, and a parafeed valve active version?

Ray
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I will ask
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I will ask
Any news Mr. I?

I've all but decided to order the necessary RAKK DAC modules and to keep the cost down and the whole thing simple I'm leaning towards the passive output module.

Ray
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Sorry Ray - I forgot - I'm under a bit of pressure at work at the mo' - soon be over!

Andy uses passive - the lundahls! - not bad!
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I'm under a bit of pressure at work at the mo' - soon be over!
Sounds a bit terminal - do you want the number for the Samaritans?

Thanks for the information; your positive views have just about made up my mind.

Ray
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It could be Ray, could be!
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

We'll, I've taken the plunge and ordered a RAKK dac Mk III board and power supply. I decided not to go with the RAKK ouput stage (passive or active) at this time; instead I've ordered a pair of DTO modues and power supplies from Welborne Labs - they use 6GM8 tubes in a hybrid output stage.

http://www.welbornelabs.com/dto.htm

The DTO is a variant of the Welborne Labs CATO linestage.

Next step is to house the DAC in a new chassis, along with my passive attenuator. Longer term I'm planning to also integrate a PS Audio Bridge to give hi-res network streaming connectivity, with the Bridge output straight into the DAC via I2S.

Ray
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I am thinking about mugging him, when he isn't looking and running off with the RaKKDAC.

Of course if he reads this I guess I'm in trouble! shhhhh (looks furtive)

I've only just seen this! Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
captains log
User

Post by captains log »

Ray P wrote:We'll, I've taken the plunge and ordered a RAKK dac Mk III board and power supply. I decided not to go with the RAKK ouput stage (passive or active) at this time; instead I've ordered a pair of DTO modues and power supplies from Welborne Labs - they use 6GM8 tubes in a hybrid output stage.

The DTO is a variant of the Welborne Labs CATO linestage.

Next step is to house the DAC in a new chassis, along with my passive attenuator. Longer term I'm planning to also integrate a PS Audio Bridge to give hi-res network streaming connectivity, with the Bridge output straight into the DAC via I2S.

Ray
I would be interested to know if you have had your order from Welbourne Labs, I ordered about $400 worth of bits from them about 2 yrs ago and have received nothing, despite many e-mails to them, etc etc...
Regards

John