James D OB's

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
ed
retired

Post by ed »

when/if you do Paul and they are seperates as you seem to be suggesting, can you give me first refusal on the vifas.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

What's happened to yours then?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Nuthin...I have an order for another pair and it saves an awful lot of grief tracking down some equiv drivers......
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

what another pair of ariels?

Trouble is I probably need to put them up for sale though seperately, at the same time, to increase my chance of selling the cabinets, so I can't promise them to you.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

its ok...sorry to have misled you....it seems speaker city still have some

http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/me ... P13WH00-08

I was told a week or so back that they had become unobtanium, so when I saw your post I immediately got excited...premature again??
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

I think they stopped making them when most of the companies amalgamated last year -possibly good commercial sense, not great for people actually wanting drive units. :^( So if you need P13s, get them now while you still can.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Hi Iansr,

How much would you like for the vintage pm6a? please measure dc resistance of the coil 12 to 14 ohm or 7 ohm surround good? It is probably a match for one that I cut the whizzer off, so it might get same butchery to be paired up as midrange drivers.

As for the pair you own which were refoamed. Why don't you use them in OB yourself?
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#53 Quasar

Post by Ray P »

OK, going right back to the beginning of this topic, what does a quasar look like? I can find plenty of references to it but I've not turned up any images?

Cheers

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Quasars at Eggfest4, with Nick introducing his then-new speakers. James's originals in acylic / plastic, Nick's budget version in BB plywood.

Although, based on memory, James's are ultimately the better speakers (they should be given that drivers cost about 10 times as much), Nick's do get rather close, especially now he's added the supertweeters -the former could probably be improved, with the benefit of a few years experience since they were built. Both are something of a hybrid between OB and open-back loading, with elements of U-frames added for good measure.
Attachments
Quasars.jpg
Quasars.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 8534 times
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Ray P

#55 Quasars

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Scott.

Nick's original post at the top of this topic refers to the Quasar shape with respect to the bottom and sides. Any clues to what these quasar shapes are?

I assume that your reference to u frames means that they have internal bracing to stiffen the baffle?

I'm getting sorely tempted to get the power saw out.

Ray
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Now you've got some better pictures via the above link to James's site, you can follow this a bit better. :^)

FWIW, Open Baffle is really a generic term that refers to a few different possible layouts. A U frame baffle is one where the sides are bent backward so when viewed from above (or below, for that matter) it resembles a large 'U' shape. There are others too, 'W' frames, 'H' frames & so on, but we'll leave those aside for the moment. An Open Back cabinet is quite literally, a speaker cabinet with no back.
Last edited by Scottmoose on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ray P

#58 Quasars

Post by Ray P »

Thanks chaps, something to mull over

Ray
iansr
Old Hand

#59 PM6a

Post by iansr »

Paul
I will get back to you re the pm6a. I will ask a fair market price for it - its just that I have no idea what that is!

I have thought about using the other pair for OBs and I migh well try that at some point. However, I've taken a bit of a flier and bought a pair of vintage Altec Biflex full range drivers to try, maybe with some vintage Saba tweeters. If that works well I might really go for it and buy some RAAL tweeters.

Rgds
Ian
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

No need now, but to guide you a torn one went for £76 recently I imagine a good one about £150 to £200 depending on who's watching and whether you say you will post to far east, and how much that postage is.

Of course trade in for new one is the best value.

There are two German suppliers making new "better?" cones and spiders and foams, they'll do it for you.

Foam surrounds are plentiful foam spiders are not but can be found. Can make a spider out of muslin and varnish but won't be as good as foam.

Anyhow now I am in trouble because I bought some pm7a's but then a pair of MK1's exactly what James has came up at 540 somat Euros and I didn't want to miss this one opportunity. The good news is I'll be able to try both the bad news is no money to pay for them, well you know money wife won't notice. Will have to do nec and sell a load of stuff, was meaning to anyway..