Strange noise from CD player...

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
adrian
User

#1 Strange noise from CD player...

Post by adrian »

...as the disk rotates. Faster on early tracks and slowing down towards the end. It's as if the disk is not in flat. How to describe the sound? An intermittent, but fast, ticking (although deeper than that - perhaps tocking is better). It's as if the disk is catching against something.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Adrian
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

No, but I wonder if CDs do slow down as they read further towards the outside.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

yes they do. IIRC they start off about 600RPM and end up at about 200.
adrian
User

Post by adrian »

Andrew

never really thought about this, but presumably the velocity of the outside of a record running at a constant 33.33 RPM must be greater the further from the centre. Don't know if this helps, since records run at a constant 33.33 RPM rather than slowing down as the stylus moves inwards.

Adrian
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, CD's have a constant velocity past the reading head, so that means the system slows the rotation down as the laser moves from the center (the disk starts a the center and works outward). LP's have a constant angular velocity, so the speed past the stylus is less in the center than the outside. Its why you get more distortion, mistracking and poorer frequency extension on the inner tracks.

Back to the original question, does it do it with all CD's or just a particular one?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
adrian
User

Post by adrian »

Nick

none of them! I changed CD and as I closed the drawer there was a slight clunk (neither a tick nor a tock) and the disks have played fine since. Including the first one that was problematic earlier. Maybe something due to the change from Steve EArle to MAria Callas.

This CDP has always been a bit temperamental, eg the drawer often closes almost immediately after fully opening, making disk changing a little tricky. Perhaps its non-use for best part of 3 weeks is something to do with it.

Adrian
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

It may be the erratic drawer caused the disk to end up off center on the spindle, and the noise you heard was the head servo working to keep the laser aligned to the eccentric disk.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I get the sort of noise you describe when my CD rom reader tries to read a disc that it can't play, so Nicks analysis sounds right.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I think you should try not putting chips, paper doilys, toenail clippings and other unsavoury stuff where really only CDs should go.

Things will run better this way!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Also marmalade sandwiches, Jacobs cream crackers . . .

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
adrian
User

Post by adrian »

Thanks all. Seems sorted.

Adrian