Long-ish cable run?

We all start somewhere
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Long-ish cable run?

Post by Dave the bass »

Bit of a beginners question here,

After a room re-shuffle I need to relocate my headphone amp away from WD88VA. I'm using the 'tape-out' sockets to drive the headphone amp at line level. The cable run will be approx 24ft.

The question is... whats the best cable-type to run to ensure I still get a nice sound? I've temporary lashed up some old balanced mic cable (2 inner cores surrounded by one screen) and all seems well. My only concern is that with the L+R signals being so close to one another within the same screened cable it might not be the best choice especially over a long 24ft run. I dunno, does it make a difference? Would a 'fig-of-8' style cable where the 2 inner conductors are screened from one another make more sense?

Your thoughts Gents?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Yo the bass

hope its hanging right...sirrosly...is it not possible to leave the headphone amp where it is and just extend the headphone cable.....I had an old koss pair with about 20' of curly guitar wire and they were tops. I'd have thought there is less likely to be degradation if you extend the output wire instead of the input...but as usual I'm guessing

Ed
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-i may be talking out of my bottom but what about wireless ?

If computer data can be transmitted with 100% accuracy (?) then perhaps one of the wireless hi-fi transmitters/recievers might be worth examining.

That way you can wander round the room/house (even the lavatory !) without missing your moosic.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:Yo the bass

hope its hanging right...sirrosly...is it not possible to leave the headphone amp where it is and just extend the headphone cable.....I had an old koss pair with about 20' of curly guitar wire and they were tops. I'd have thought there is less likely to be degradation if you extend the output wire instead of the input...but as usual I'm guessing

Ed
Big Yo MC Ed, it's hanging slightly to the right at moment but that's probably due to the cold weather.... :shock: but thanks for asking :)

It's a possiblilty but the amp would be a distance away and I'd have to get up to adjust the volume plus I'd have to properly install the cable (clip it to the skirting and take it over the arch) otherwise it's going to be a major trip hazard, it would run across the main entrance to the 'living quarters'.

I'll have chin rub and deep thougkus-pon-the-subject.

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:Hi-i may be talking out of my bottom but what about wireless ?

If computer data can be transmitted with 100% accuracy (?) then perhaps one of the wireless hi-fi transmitters/recievers might be worth examining.

That way you can wander round the room/house (even the lavatory !) without missing your moosic.
I see where you're coming from Philip but I'm not won over by the wireless route TBH. Anything that has to modulate then demodulate the signal might add all manner of 'nasty's' to the signal, hence the cable run option.

....although wireless music while poo-ing appeals :lol:

DTB
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

although wireless music while poo-ing appeals
Yep, it's the only way to go :)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

al newall wrote: Yep, it's the only way to go :)
Arf, I see what you did there :lol:

DTB