S&B transformers

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
Nick
Site Admin

#1 S&B transformers

Post by Nick »

I took myself along to the show in Manchester this weekend. I was in the Music First room and got chatting to a Mr Billington, so I asked why they had stopped selling into the DIY market. and it seems they haven't, in case anyone is interested they are still making and selling the step ups, the AVC's, and the LCR RIAA modules. They also do custom wound Transformers if anyone is interested, and if the little PX25 amp they had playing there is anything to go by they are quiet capable of making very nice output TX's. Maybe not of direct interest to the folks around here, but I said I would post about it because the world at large probably still (like I did) thinks they don't supply DIY anymore.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: S&B transformers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote:They also do custom wound Transformers if anyone is interested, and if the little PX25 amp they had playing there is anything to go by they are quiet capable of making very nice output TX's.
Hmmm... that's worth knowing about. :)

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Yes, just not the TX103 to the DIY market, as far as I can tell. I assume they keep this for their own Music First step up box so as not to detract from sales of their own product.

http://www.stevens-billington.co.uk/pagestepup.htm

The replacement the TX1003 is actually better in some ways, you must preselect a fixed step up ratio at purchase time, less flexible, but as I have been told it allows a better winding configuration.

I do not see the TVCs for sale, perhaps they will follow the same format and will be a along in due course, Nick did you get any news on this front?

-- Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

According to the flyer I was given, the TX102 TVC is in the MFA preamp. They also have a TX1002 which is a smaller version of the 102. I think he said they sell the 102, but the price he mentioned meant it would not be undercutting the finished unit.

I get the feeling they are happy to sell anything. Maybe they can do this now because the ready built unit has established itself in the market.

I mentioned this place to him, so if he does have a look he can give the full info.

If the web site is correct, the TX1003 seems like a fair price as long as you know what ratio you want. Don't know what it sounds like though, so can't pass a comment.

It was nice to see the simple little PX25 amp amidst some of the excess in the other rooms. It was driving a pair of ls3/5a no less :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.