eBay Resolution Centre

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Colin,

for what it's worth, I ordered some speaker binding posts off ebay some 10-days ago and paid on the day via paypal. I got an email a couple days later to say they had been posted but they only arrived in this mornings post. So I think the postal service is still catching up on mail after the posatl strike and the bad weather.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Colin - give it a few more days at least !
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Toppsy wrote:Colin,

for what it's worth, I ordered some speaker binding posts off ebay some 10-days ago and paid on the day via paypal. I got an email a couple days later to say they had been posted but they only arrived in this mornings post. So I think the postal service is still catching up on mail after the posatl strike and the bad weather.
yep but hes not even emailed me to say they have been posted nothing what so ever
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

colin.hepburn wrote: yep but hes not even emailed me to say they have been posted nothing what so ever
it's nothing unusual for this to happen, I buy quite a bit off ebay and sadly comms are very bad most of the time,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Just noted in my order details for the valves it says insurance and tracking is included in the shipping and handling charges I have no forwarding info on that ether
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Well he's finely responded through the resolution centre I am not sure if I believe his reasons for not sending my valve thou or maybe I am just mistrusting of EBay ? just have to wait and see
From Seller - Hamidah Gilbert
19/01/2010 10:06 GMT
Dear Colin, Please accept my apologies for the delay in sending tubes, i have been very ill with a influenza virus and incapacitated, that is why i have not answered emails.

I will send off you tubes on Wednesday, i am desperately trying to catch up with posting, sorry again for delay, Regards, Hamidah,.
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Better to think the best about people rather than the worst ! :wink:

I feel like shit when I have a cold so f*** knows how I would feel with a dose of flu.

It's not a life changing problem Colin so just "chill" a little.

Edmund Burke

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

HA HO
Well this eBay chap finally sent the valve with a tracking code as well so I thought I would forgive and forget and give him good feedback well the valves are here in one peace or should that be two pieces a pair They are advertised as GZ32s I've got Russian 5U4C $2.50 a peace which isn't even close to a GZ32 or is it http://www.tubes-store.com/product_info ... ducts_id=4
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

According to Duncan's tube data sheet locator GZ32 is identical to 5V4G, 5V4GA, CV593, GZ31, VT206A

See also:
http://www.boiaudioworks.com/Rectifier

About a third - halfway down the page:
5V4G SOV Sovtek

"1980's NOS Russian production tube. Note that some tubes will be marked 5U4C instead of 5V4G"

So looks like it's correct yes.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I think they are as close to a GZ32 as you are likely to get these days !

If you really want GZ32 make me an offer for the pair of Mullards in my Quad 11 amps. :wink:

Edmund Burke

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:According to Duncan's tube data sheet locator GZ32 is identical to 5V4G, 5V4GA, CV593, GZ31, VT206A

See also:
http://www.boiaudioworks.com/Rectifier

About a third - halfway down the page:
5V4G SOV Sovtek

"1980's NOS Russian production tube. Note that some tubes will be marked 5U4C instead of 5V4G"

So looks like it's correct yes.

Hi mike
Thanks for the link now I am confused so me 5U4C is a 5V4G or is it a 5Z4 :?
Philip no the 5u what every should be fine I hope it's just I thought it was the EZ32 I was getting from the chap
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Try not to get too bogged down in device numbers, evey manu. had their own number for the same thing even in the old days. OK Mullard's is GZ32, Mazda was probably something else, GEC's ditto, and like that. Foreign even more so. It's the same gadget, most likely in the old days were made under licence to Mullard, but who don't exist anymore. The overseas manuafacturing tools / know-how obviously still does, or until comparatively recently.

Like we have the American 12A?7 numbers which are identical to Mullard's ECC81/2/3 etc.

E.g. that particular numbering system is purely Mullard's, each had their own way of doing it.

That's why you used to able to get equivalents books, I've got a couple somewhere they're just stuffed full of tables of all the different numbers one device might be labelled as. Like 'CV' is the old British War dep.t coding prefix, just 'military versions' of the same things you could get at the high street radio shop.

If the issue is the eBay guy shouldn't have described the Russian equiv.s as GZ32 (thus implying Mullard original), but '5U4C' instead, no-one would know what it was. :D I wouldn't ~ well no I found out by Google search but that starts getting more complicated.

Probs should've written something like 'Russian GZ32' or something like that then explain it's an equivalent.

PS my Russian "6SL7"'s in Rocky (from Al, see I've forgotten the Russian number again!) anyhoo they work just like 6SL7's.

Renumbering is normal, there's nothing "sinister" going on :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Thanks for the run down on all the numbers the 5V4Gs will be just fine it was just the fact I jumped in with both feet seeing the GZ32 number and well got strung for £16.00 when I could have got the 5U4C for £0.98 plus about a fiver postage bummer :oops: just have to be more aware next time
Last edited by colin.hepburn on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I suspect real genu-wine Mullard ones would be somewhat more than $8 each :D