Computer Audio

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote:In fact this was the easiest, smoothest OS upgrade I've ever done on a Mac. No issues with drivers or third party software on my system at least.
Apple and it's developer community clearly did their homework with this one.
There has been an improvement in sound quality with the upgrade too. Apple have made extensive upgrades to the CoreAudio layer in the OS and it shows. All my stuff is now Apple Lossless which SlimServer hands off to CoreAudio for decoding before transmission to the SB. Not for everyone of course but I can't see me moving to any other OS, therefore compatibility is not an issue in my case. All in all a very nice OS upgrade indeed.

Steve
leopard got fleas??
http://tomkarpik.com/articles/massive-d ... n-leopard/

tee hee
Hi Ed
Well I'm not in the habit of moving data and deliberately dropping the connection half way through. But yes that's a showstopper. I also realize that, with thousands upon thousands of possible Mac system configurations, anything can happen and probably will at some point in time. Again, this is nothing unusual, and any of the serious problems will be taken to heart by Apple and repaired, if need be, in a forthcoming system update. However in the meantime there is a concept known as backing up.

IMHO there is no excuse for losing data. Whatever the system does (no system is perfect) it is entirely one's own fault if one loses something important.

As a computer person yourself Ed, I expect you back up the back ups of your backups and have important stuff stored offsite; but the trouble is only about 5% of people outside of industry bother to back up anything, then they are the first to whine when something disappears.

If any of us who have ripped our CD collections and digitised our vinyl for streaming via Squeezeboxes or similar do not have complete up-to date backups of our music then we should be afraid - very afraid.

Do it folks before you lose the lot, And you will lose it eventually, believe it.

There is also another one doing the rounds and that is a shock horror piece that Leopard's Firewall fails every security test. However unlike the data loss one, the firewall piece is total FUD. Nobody else in the computer press knows what the hell the German security firm that reported this is on about. All tests of the firewall both I and thousands of others including respected security types have done show that all services are off by default and where services are turned on, PCs running Leopard are completely invisible to all 65536 port probes.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Steve

I posted that completely tongue-in-cheek so i wasn't really criticising. I imagine that microshaft would love to have their problems limited to something like that...but they can only dream......

btw will you be bringing your preamp on Saturday?, cos if so I have another little chore for it which I'm hoping will wow the multitudes.

Regards

Ed
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Oooh, you tease Ed! Anything to do with NP???

I believe Nick's bringing his tvc buffer stage too - should make an interesting comparison? I wasn't going to bring the 300Bs again until I'd carried out some surgery as everyone knows how they sound, but I'm rather interested to hear how they would sound with decent a pre...
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Ed
I didn't think for one moment you were trolling :wink:
It was prudent however to take the opportunity to preach the backup religion (again)

Re Saturday, I don't have the preamp now as I raided the switched attenuator out of it to build the push pull amp.

I could easily rig up an output from the new amp so that it could be used as a pre only, for whatever you are wanting to do. It's only a question of a couple of bits of screened lead and two phono sockets after all :)

See you all on Sat.

Steve.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

t's only a question of a couple of bits of screened lead and two phono sockets after all
I will bring some clip leads :-)

What do you want us to bring Steve, I havn't got much at the moment, my 6c33c's are off somewhere else, and I am using a d3a -> 2a3 on a board with two bench supplies at the moment for a amp.

But I can bring my buffer stage and Slage AVC (its in a box now...), and the OB's if you have space (or they can stay in the car)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Wandering off topic, but which 2A3s Nick? How are you finding them driven by D3a?

I'll bring 6EM7 and 45/2A3 amps, including the RCAs which sound lovely at home. Steve's going to bring my Sovteks back so we could have a mini 2A3 fest if there's time/interest?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

but which 2A3s Nick? How are you finding them driven by D3a?
Think I am using sovtek at the moment. I can bring it if anyone is interested in a comparison, there should be enough room.

the d3a was a experiment based on some emails with Jono, they are being loaded with a c4s. Seems to be ok, but the rest of the amp (ie power supply) is all over the place so its not that great a comparison.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

The more the merrier :)
Deco-Doctor
User

#204 Exact Audio Copy, how to rip to FLAC?

Post by Deco-Doctor »

removed
Last edited by Deco-Doctor on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Martin

not sure how you are going about this but fwiw I select the whole list in the main eac window(after the track names have been inserted) then right click & choose 'copy selected tracks' and then choose 'compressed'

apart from all the flac exe settings make sure 'wait for compressor' is checked in 'general' in the eac options page.......that way you can be sure its working straight away.

Ed
Deco-Doctor
User

Post by Deco-Doctor »

removed
Last edited by Deco-Doctor on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hi Martin,

.FLAC

IIRC when I installed EAC I selected the option for it use flac. So when I put a CD in if it doesn't recognise it I press Alt + G to get the details from freedb, then Shift + F6 to Test and Copy Selected Tracks to Compressed. EAC automatically converts to flac and deletes the wav. I don't need to select any tracks, it does them all.

If you're using a NAS then as Ed says somewhere earlier in the thread make sure you have EAC set to write to your local hard drive, it really is so much quicker.

Good luck!

Simon.
Deco-Doctor
User

Post by Deco-Doctor »

removed
Last edited by Deco-Doctor on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
iansr
Old Hand

#209 QNAP + HDD ?

Post by iansr »

I'm very intrigued by the QNAP + SBox idea - much better than having to boot up your computer. However I have a question for those who know about this stuff:

I've already got a shed load of my music stored on an external HDD (in apple lossless). If I buy the QNAP can I hook up the HDD to it so that my SBox can access the music files via the QNAP?
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

a friend has asked about the difference between a squeeze box and an icy box . i havn't a clue. do they do the same job ?