An American in Germany

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
hatehifi
New User

#1 An American in Germany

Post by hatehifi »

Hello all,

Graeme and Dave the Bass I 'met' over in Lenco Heaven. Though I can't guess how often I may submit anything, be it worthwhile or not, I can't say. I wanted to present myself because not only is it polite, I wanted to poke around and let it be known. As a greenkeeper, from March to December there may be even less visiting then...

I'm 56 and have loved music but..."hate HiFi" since I was 11. First a SS RCA drop-down TT with amp and the speakers swung out and could even be dismounted and placed further apart. There were oval drivers and little did I know until just now that those were my first full-range speakers! It took me roughly forty years to get back to them. I now have a pair of 3" d'Appolito TML G3 from QLN as well as Zu's Essence...

And all-of-a-sudden I've found my (I come from the SS league) Gryphon Tabu Century amp isn't the right match for FR so I'm firing them with an upgraded Dayens Ampino [and a RWA Sig30 (for sale if anyone's interested, have the 3S too)] at 6% of what the Gryphon cost. See why I picked the name? I believe in 'wires' and what I call microphony, that the amp is most important in the chain, next the rack - room and placement, with the speakers last!

I've had all sorts of good stuff over the years. I've lived with Celestion SL 600s for nine years and my Tabu, ten.

I listen to a lot of CD but my roots and loyalty and preference is, I hope you guessed it, analog! Have an audiomeca Romance and soon I will set forth and make my own TT. 25 years ago I highly modified a Kenwood KD600 to loftier heights.

What else? I love to listen to music and admit, that I fall into the bound-for-sound group. I own a roughly 4k LP and 2k CD collection, purchased for the music and not the audiophile merit.

Unanswered questions?

Cheers, and thanks for having me over!
John
"fascinating times in which we are living"~grandad

Little Feat (Mercenary Territory)
I've did my time in that rodeo. It's been so long and I've got nothing to show.
Well I'm so plain loco, fool that I am I'd do it all over again.
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Hi :)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Hello Mr HiFi,

Welcome.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi And welcome to Audio-Talk

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

yeah wow! I didn't recognise almost any of your equipment - that can't be bad

wilkommen.
hatehifi
New User

Post by hatehifi »

andrew Ivimey wrote:yeah wow! I didn't recognise almost any of your equipment - that can't be bad

wilkommen.
Really? The SL600 on Foundation stands were marvelous (as most of my kit). Check out zuaudio dot com, lots of [fairly] original 're-engineering'. Pierre Lurne, audiomeca, is a master of analog; even in the digital. The rest of my present system: ModWright Sony 9100ES w/tube-rectified PS9.0 CDP, upgraded preamp Promitheus TVC III with Tube-Gain Stage, Phono is the internal board from Gryphon, the PS1 with PS by my German friend Christian Schulz. ICs are Zu Varial and mains, Mother, and speaker wire was their Libtec but I'm breaking in some Litz a friend gave me (might stay). Lastly, I've Zu's Denon DL103R 0.3% selected and a slightly used old Lyra Lydian (green). You can check out the QLNs at their website (google) under discontinued models. (Meanwhile they've been bought out and are not what they were. Their Splitfields are killer as well, actually most all were...) To go with them I have a Zu MiniMethod subwoofer in customs that I've owned before and hope to have inside ten days.

'Nuff shop talk, any women over here?! :lol:

Cheers!
John

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yeah all right I do know SL600s, but phew don't recognise much else. Do you have a soldering iron? We tend to like spending huge amounts of money on bits and bobs and soldering them altogether until tehy dsatrt to make music. It starts off cheap but begins a spiral into madness and poverty. Women? oh yes them - on the whole we like them.. I think we like them. We do like them don't be boys?! ;-) They don't seem to be that keen on our 'hobby', butif they are smart theuy realise it keeps us off the streets at night.
hatehifi
New User

Post by hatehifi »

:wink: I guess we HiFi (not meant negative, 'audiophile' is for me a negative) nuts total 1 million strong world-wide of which I guesstimate 0.01% are women. I've noted that the rest tend to love to go shopping while we 'pimp' our systems...

I wrote Graeme at LH that I gave up working on cars with 16 and I can't brag much more about soldering either. I've had occasion to act as a sounding board for a couple of talented developers and therefore have been spoiled to have them do the dirty work for me. I do have an iron but shouldn't it be a station? I know close to zilch about the workings, i.e., haven't got my head around a schematic as to 'why' that is there (called: novice). Sort of what it does I know but...

So I'm here to learn and maybe throw in my two cents worth (likely ain't worth more than that either). And hopefully, learn. I have and plan to build again some speakers (soft spot). And likely I will be asking dumb questions. Sounds exciting?!

Thanks and cheers!
John

Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Welcome