advice on a cd (new,old, whatever) player

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 advice on a cd (new,old, whatever) player

Post by cressy »

having being listening to cds for the first time in ages for most of the day, ive realised that my cd player sounds errrr shit through my system.

2 things sprung to mind, first i wish i hadent sold my arcam delta 170.3 and mf x24k combination however i needed the money at the time, and secondly wish that i hadnt sold my x ray. again i needed the money at the time :cry:

so. im going to look at changing the cd player. its a marantz cd75. but i just dont like it........

so where to start. i havent looked at anything cd related in a long time. any ideas/advice gratefully recieved.

cheers ant
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If the player has a digital out, why not add a DAC?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i'll have a look and see if it has one
davebms
User

Post by davebms »

poss you could try a Lampizator on the end of it .some say its the best ever . :?: others do not feel the same about it !
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes I was going to suggest if the digital part of it is OK maybe it's the analogue part that's the problem :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

it apparently uses a tda1541a dac chip, so it ought to be pretty good, my old mcd used a tda1540 and so did the philips cd303 i borrowed. (i want the cd303 but my mother in law wont sell it to me :shock: :? :cry: )

i had a look and it does have a digital out for a dac but ive no idea what to go for. some of the chinese dac kits on fleabay look good value. anyone tried them?

i dont really want to start hacking the insides of the player about to put a valve output stage on it tbh as it is in a really (i mean really) enclosed space so the heat from a tube wouldnt have anywhere to go. plus i cant be arsed. have some ideas for a new amp in the pipeline after the simple el84 is done for my mate so the faffing with the cd player is out im afraid
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Can you borrow Dads Berisford DAC for a year (sorry,day :wink: ) or two and see if it does what you want ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

cressy wrote:i dont really want to start hacking the insides of the player about to put a valve output stage on it tbh
Neither would I, maybe just run out screened leads from it to something else external.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i might be able to borrow the beresford but it runs is squeezebox and dvd player so i'd have to ask nicely..........
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

cressy wrote:it apparently uses a tda1541a dac chip, so it ought to be pretty good,
There's a lot of DIY potential in a 1541a, don't let it go without a fight, plus the CD75 is rated by the guys on diyaudio.com as a very good transport if you want to hook up an external DAC...

Simon C
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Cressy,

I have a Beresford DAC you could borrow.

PM me if you're interested.

Colin