what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ant
Shed dweller

#1231 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

No way for me to get down there!
Id like to go at some point though

I did want to try a solid state headphone amp, so before christmas i bought a musical fidelity hpap. Turned up in good time, looked fine, plugged it in and it immediately went bang. That was disappointing. So that has now got to go back too.
Was quite looking forward to trying it too
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1232 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

I built Ed's mosfet follower type headphone amp before Christmas Ant, I think he sent you a PCB a while back maybe? I made my own PCB but if you want to try the one I built you're welcome to borrow it. Sounds pretty good to me, I'd be interested to know what you think of it and how it compares to your headphone stuff as I don't have any experience to compare it to. You'd need a volume control as I use it after a buffer type preamp.
Ant
Shed dweller

#1233 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Yes ive got the boards ed sent me somewhere, i never got around to building it, ive also got some jlh boards somewhere too that phil sent me a long time ago, again i never got round to those either

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1234 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Ant wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:00 pm Yes ive got the boards ed sent me somewhere, i never got around to building it, ive also got some jlh boards somewhere too that phil sent me a long time ago, again i never got round to those either
No worries Ant, the enthusiasm will come in the future, or not. It's not important in the grand scheme of things that really matter in life. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
brig001
Old Hand

#1235 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by brig001 »

Octopus have now conveniently lost all photos and videos I sent to prove that they had configured my smart meter incorrectly. Fortunately I haven’t
Time Machine is my friend
Brian
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1236 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Jean came home from her mums with a bad cold, and she's isolated herself in bed.

So, as chief nurse I'm getting our evening meal ready before (or in case) the power goes off due to the high winds.

I'm having a G & T whilst waiting, Haysmith's Seville orange and Persian lime to be precise. It is from Aldi but these days supermarket wines/spirits can be quite good, if not better.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1237 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

:D

Sorry about Jean's cold. I've noticed since the pub up the road shut because of Covid and never reopened, I stopped getting winter colds, because I don't go in there. :D

Just a quickie - if you've been to Owston lately you might be familiar with the bookshelf speakers I use ...
-
Music-Centre_2333.jpg
Music-Centre_2333.jpg (44.84 KiB) Viewed 12311 times
-

Formerly 1980's music centre speakers (a Waltham STM-50 my dad 'acquired' in 1984), drivers replaced with Altai branded 4 inchers and Coles supertweeters, the replacement baffles are attached with screws (to facilitate frequent messing about with the innards).

Recently I noticed that one cabinet, cabinet 'B', vibrated much more than the other, cabinet 'A' (long ago so identified with chinagraph pencil on the backs so I could compare and identify which was which, if there was any kind of mismatch), if I hold my hand on it. Then I remembered one of the baffle holding screws, in the middle, has a stripped thread because it's too close to the edge of where I cut the original baffle out with a jigsaw.

Took it apart for a coat of looking at, and yes, in fact both the centre screws are doing sweet bugger all, just hanging in there to block the holes up.

So drilled two extra holes that do go through the middle of the remaining flanges in the box. Reassembled ... try out ...

Yep that was it. Now both cabinets vibrate, or rather, don't (or just slightly), the same now. Proper job. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1238 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I'm pleased you got it sorted Mike. I was going to comment about screwing and vibrations, but people might think I'm coarse. :lol:

I'm also glad I got dinner a bit early because we DID get a power cut, about 19:45. As we are classed as vulnerable (as are a lot of others in our village - waiting for god) we get text updates.

Well, I went to bed, bugger all to do in the dark with no power. Got woken up with a text to say they hoped to reconnect between 00:30 and 01:30, then got woken up again about an hour later to say they were sorry but the reconnection was estimated at 06:30 - 07:30 Wednesday. Then, blow me down, before I could nod off the power came back on. So the original estimate was about right. :D

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#1239 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Well the musical fidelity headphone amp that went bang went back last week, ive had a refund issued so at least thats sorted. The chap reckons that it had been dropped by rm on its way because hes found something detached inside it. I didnt go inside it, didnt want to cause any returns issues by opening it up. Normally i would have had a look to see if i could fix it but with ebay you risk being left high and dry if you do.
Hopefully the bloke can make a successful damage claim with rm for it.

I just dont have the time at the moment to build anything so the search for an ss headphone amp resumes. Ill peruse the usual places and see if something pops up

Ant
Shed dweller

#1240 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Sat working, and idly musing. Wonder what the lp12 i used to have (valhalla, akito) would sound like compared to the xerxes, oracle and jbe.
Dunno why, just idle musings

Neal
Shed dweller

#1241 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Neal »

Messing around with an ARM board replacement for cheap casio watches (F91W).

Sensor board is in red.

The board and therefore the watch is fully customisable with dedicated watch ‘faces’ that enhance the basic functionality with lots of time related stuff. I’m particularly interested in one feature that provides temperature controlled frequency compensation to turn the watch into a +/- 10 sec per year accurate watch.

You can either write your own code to make a function or build from many other prebuilt functions / faces and then test on line using the simulator…

https://sensor-watch-builder.fly.dev/
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1242 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Very cool!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1243 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It's fascinating!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1244 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

Likewise! :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1245 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Dave the bass »

Talking of Casio, in 1976 my Mum and Dad invested in the latest technology and purchased a Calculator. I've just got it working again, yey!

"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"