Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16141 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:27 am I was told this, and it's supposed to be true, but ?

Seems the new immigration centre at Wethersfield (in Essex) sent two coach loads of immigrants for a day out at Clacton on sea, and only one coach load came back. :shock:
Is there even a shred of evidence other than "a mate told me" for repeating this bit of otherwise borderline xenophobic drivel?
Last edited by jack on Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#16142 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

We've had FTTP for approaching 3yrs now. First connection was with BT residential as they were the only choice back when it first became available - the Smarthub offered digital 'landline' but we didn't use it and dispensed with having a handset on the basis of both of us having mobiles. When the initial BT contract came up for renewal they wanted to increase the monthly cost by around 50% so told them where to stick it and switch to Jurassic Fibre, a local (Exeter-based) supplier, for a data only service that costs less than BT were charging and has a better QoS (I could almost set my watch by when dropouts of the BT service would occur). Don't miss the landline at all.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16143 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 am
pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:27 am I was told this, and it's supposed to be true, but ?

Seems the new immigration centre at Wethersfield (in Essex) sent two coach loads of immigrants for a day out at Clacton on sea, and only one coach load came back. :shock:
Is there even a shred of evidence other than "a mate told me" for this bit of otherwise borderline xenophobic drivel?
No "evidence", but the gossip came from a couple whose garden backs onto the perimeter fence at the Wethersfield immigration centre.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16144 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:52 am
jack wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 am

Is there even a shred of evidence other than "a mate told me" for this bit of otherwise borderline xenophobic drivel?
No "evidence", but the gossip came from a couple whose garden backs onto the perimeter fence at the Wethersfield immigration centre.
Quality source then. Did they "count the busses out and count them, back in again" (*)? Do they actually know what happened from 1st hand experience or maybe one of the perimeter guard dogs looked at them "in a funny way"? Perhaps they know a bloke at the pub who has an auntie whose step-son works at Kwik Fit and one of the bus drivers bought his Austin Allegro in for new brakes but forgot the vital words that "Careless Talk Costs Lives", so let slip this little gem of "factual information"?

GB News & Farage would be proud.

(*) Apologies to Brian Hanrahan
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16145 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Calm down old chap !!

I didn't say it was true, but it might be. :wink:

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#16146 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Did Jurassic install their own fibre, Ray, or do they use the Openreach one?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Neal
Shed dweller

#16147 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

I'm more curious about the big potato with mouse teeth marks in the loft...so many questions! :mrgreen:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16148 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:09 pm I'm more curious about the big potato with mouse teeth marks in the loft...so many questions! :mrgreen:
Is it true, or just fence gossip? :lol:

Edmund Burke

brig001
Old Hand

#16149 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

Just read this again:
Digital landline switch paused for vulnerable people https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67750235

Quote:
TalkTalk uses a different system which means very few customers will need to be switched.

Seems like it's true:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Our ... -p/2988498
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16150 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

brig001 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:15 pm Just read this again:
Digital landline switch paused for vulnerable people https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67750235

Quote:
TalkTalk uses a different system which means very few customers will need to be switched.

Seems like it's true:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Our ... -p/2988498
Good news for TalkTalk customers! this is not the case as we use our own solution and equipment. You will not be immediately impacted; you will continue to be able to order traditional phone services and you will be able to continue to use your current copper (analogue) voice service beyond December 2025.
Note that might mean the service ends 01/01/2026... There is no stated commitment to the long, or even medium, term.

The bottom line (literally) is that analogue services are expensive to provide & maintain, with a diminishing user base.
Last edited by jack on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Social outcast

#16151 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:06 pm Calm down old chap !!

And equally well it might not, but don’t let that stand in the way of a juicy bit of xenophobic bullshit.
jack wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:02 pm Quality source then.
Probably as reliable as the Mail or the Express, which sadly is good enough for most people.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16152 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:24 pm

And equally well it might not, but don’t let that stand in the way of a juicy bit of xenophobic bullshit.
It's only "xenophobic bullshit" if it's not true, and you don't know that any more than I do.

Edmund Burke

brig001
Old Hand

#16153 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

jack wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:18 pm Note that might mean the service ends 01/01/2026... There is no stated commitment to the long, or even medium, term.
True, but II didn't even know that Talk Talk used their own equipment
shane
Social outcast

#16154 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:27 pm
shane wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:24 pm

It's only "xenophobic bullshit" if it's not true, and you don't know that any more than I do.
Phil, at the bottom of each of your posts is a very true phrase which states “ The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Posts like yours demonstrate that whilst this is true, there are plenty of other ways for evil to triumph.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16155 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

brig001 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:27 pm
jack wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:18 pm Note that might mean the service ends 01/01/2026... There is no stated commitment to the long, or even medium, term.
True, but II didn't even know that Talk Talk used their own equipment
My understanding is that TalkTalk, like most other ISPs, use LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) which means that their "own equipment" is simply capacity leased wholesale from BT and then resold. LLU was introduced to increase competition, which it has done by allowing the ISPs to offer a range of services and competitive price points. Virgin Media genuinely have their own infrastructure, but almost everyone else uses LLU.

The bottom line is that the infrastructure is still owned by BT and maintained by OpenReach.

Others here may know better.