Charity Shop Finds

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Charity Shop Finds

Post by Cressy Snr »

They can’t give away CDs these days, so outside of the rarities market they can be found pretty cheap. Better qualify that with an “in my experience,” disclaimer.
Anyway went on the pensioners’ coach to Filey and Scarborough yesterday and the Sue Ryder shop in Filey came up with the three items below for 99p each:
IMG_0228.jpeg
IMG_0228.jpeg (153.57 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit Special Edition (complete with the infamous Claptone Remix bass thumper.)
Eva Cassidy - Songbird
David Gray - White Ladder.

Not a bad haul for three quid. The Eva Cassidy CD brought back fond memories of the first Eggborough….and the second….and the third….and the fourth…and the fifth…. :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Re: Charity Shop Finds

Post by Ray P »

I regularly check out charity shops for CDs when I have a little spare time and have found some real gems, and often at someting like 2 for £1 - the exception being Oxfam of course! I generally just rip them and give them back so they can sell them again. he main issue I have with it is being able to recall if I already have recordings I find!

Mentioning the pensioners coach, I qualify for my state pension next month, I'm one of the transitioners who gets it at age 66 - scary where all those years have gone. I'm not going to take my state pension yet though, I plan to carry on working for a while longer and gamble on living long enough to make getting an enhanced state pension worthwhile.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Charity Shop Finds

Post by simon »

I seem to recall there was a hidden track on the White Ladder CD, might be wrong in the depths of time though

DIET: yes, before the first track. Think you had to press play then rewind

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ladder
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Charity Shop Finds

Post by Cressy Snr »

simon wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:29 pm I seem to recall there was a hidden track on the White Ladder CD, might be wrong in the depths of time though

DIET: yes, before the first track. Think you had to press play then rewind

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ladder
Found it. Good track, nice novelty value for the easter egg hunter. Strange thing to do. All IMO of course. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Charity Shop Finds

Post by simon »

Hidden tracks were a bit of a thing back then. Easier to do with CD but more difficult to hide on vinyl! One record, I can remember what, had c15 mins of silence at the end of the second side and then another track started.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#6 Re: Charity Shop Finds

Post by Ray P »

Visited my mum down in Fareham today, although she's 87 she's fit as a fiddle so we ended up walking into the town centre as she likes nothing better than browsing the charity shops - I came back with ten CDs for a grand outlay of £4. Some artists I hadn't come across but for a few pence it's an easy oportunity to explore.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Charity Shop Finds

Post by pre65 »

We have a book/CD table at my bowls club, and this morning I picked up two CDs for 50p each.

1) The Hollies - love songs, most of their hits.
EMI music for pleasure

2) The Beatles - 27 number 1 singles
Apple under licence from EMI
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Charity Shop Finds

Post by Mike H »

APPROVED.gif
APPROVED.gif (11.31 KiB) Viewed 3518 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."