what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1126 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

As hinted at elsewhere, am currently camping in northeast Norfolk. Took a walk into town (Reepham) yesterday for Sunday lunch and the local motor club were clogging up the town square with their conveyances :lol:

Couple of pix... first is an Austin 7 I believe, second is a Pemberton Morgan clone with a Moto Guzzi 'small block' power plant.....
-
0550216D-9D03-4AC6-9879-D441CEA8D806.jpeg
0550216D-9D03-4AC6-9879-D441CEA8D806.jpeg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
-
8361E533-36D2-4199-BA0F-ED70DE167F64.jpeg
8361E533-36D2-4199-BA0F-ED70DE167F64.jpeg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
-
There was also an old (1920's?) Rolls Royce, a very nice modern open top Jaguar, the ubiquitous moggies, Minis and MG's, an early Maserati saloon I think, and an Austin A30 van.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
steve s
Shed dweller

#1127 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by steve s »

Nice Mike, I look at those pics and think I should get on with my morgan thats in boxes..
Meanwhile we've had a great weekend in Manchester, the highlight was Peter kay at the arena
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#1128 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ali Tait »

I read somewhere that he’s going to bring back Pheonix Nights.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#1129 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

He wants to make a phoenix nights film.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1130 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Went to a talk by Ranulph Fiennes last night.

Fascinating to listen to the Great Man himself. Mad as a box of frogs. Don't make them like that any more etc. etc.

79 years old, spoke for nearly 2 hours with a dry wit. Walks a bit carefully, but then I remembered that he'd had to cut some of his own toes off with a hacksaw, then pliers... Amazing he's lasted to 79 considering the extraordinary life he's had.

He's doing a sort of farewell tour. If you get a chance to see him, it's well worth it.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1131 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

:thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1132 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Good stuff.
Many years ago I saw a talk that Mike Stroud did about the 1982 sled-walk they did across Antarctica. That was fascinating.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1133 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:17 pm Good stuff.
Many years ago I saw a talk that Mike Stroud did about the 1982 sled-walk they did across Antarctica. That was fascinating.
Stroud is one of his best mates and got a lot of coverage during the evening. He's one of the world's authorities on starvation and it's effects on the human body - he understands extreme endurance unlike anyone else.

He and Fiennes had core samples taken of their muscles after the '82 episode - no anaesthetic as that would have tainted the samples - Fiennes showed a photo of Stroud having one of these samples taken from deep in his thigh - he said he took the photo out of revenge for Stroud having tortured him so much! (Stroud set the diet etc for the expedition) He also said that there were times in those 3 years that they hated each other, but they're still best of mates...

https://sirranulphfiennes.co.uk/
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1134 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Ha !
I seem to remember Mike Stroud saying that they'd been eating a diet of 70% fat for 3 months, but their cholesterol and trigyceride profiles were among the best they'd ever tested ..... however they had also lost about 4 stone, in Mike's case, and 5 or 6 stone, in Ranulph's case.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1135 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I just don't get it.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1136 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Would you be happier if I didn't post anything on the forum Andrew ? It seems to be one downer after another, coming on here at the moment .
andrew Ivimey

#1137 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I don't think I've been criticising you Mark even indirectly - no comments about nutters who like going for nigh on impossible walks in extremely cold places. But even if you are pro dragster racing about which I am unambiguously negative all I would ask of anyone is to reflect for a while on the utter futility, waste and danger of such a 'sport'.

I did think a bit this morning about wuite what circumstances makes it all right to stab someone in the neck because they don't want your bunch of flowers so she should be killed. That makes me unhappy. Here in this BB a spirited discussion, if talk there is to be, about a subject that I see no sensible reason to justify and much to condemn it..... but I could be wrong. So, I could learn something and no be made unhappy. Bonus!

Another example, I immediately thought 'Bentley !' and I'd be surprised if we can't all see the image of a green monster hurtling to win at LeMans - it was James Bond's car of choice ( in the books) but I spose Rolls Royce hmmmm yeah alright even though Auric Goldfinger had one. And I'm sure the geezer who designed the Mini also dreamed up the Lambretta scooter.He was not English or even British.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1138 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:59 am And I'm sure the geezer who designed the Mini also dreamed up the Lambretta scooter.He was not English or even British.
Not so Andrew.

Alex Issigonis was British /Greek and had no connection with Innocenti till British Leyland sub contracted Mini building and eventually took them over in 1972.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#1139 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by shane »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:59 am And I'm sure the geezer who designed the Mini also dreamed up the Lambretta scooter.He was not English or even British.
Alec Issigonis was a Greek, born in Smyrna which must have been confusing.

Fascinating Titbits (or not, as the case may be): he refused to put in the facility for a car radio, viewing it as a dangerous distraction, but all his cars had to have at least three ashtrays.

He also designed the Morris Minor which we now view as being quintessentially English, but drew heavily on American ‘40s styling trends and was initially poorly received for it.

When BMW took over BL in the 90s, their chairman was one Bernd Pischetsrieder, who just happened to be Issigonis’ nephew.

Don’t think he had anything to do with Lambretta though.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey

#1140 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Morris Minor eh classic! Much to learn there is.