Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
shane
Social outcast

#15661 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Interesting idea.

If there’s only one electron, it must be very busy!

https://interestingengineering.com/scie ... e-same-one
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15662 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:27 am Interesting idea.

If there’s only one electron, it must be very busy!

https://interestingengineering.com/scie ... e-same-one
Nice. Well explained too
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15663 Adhesive Question

Post by IslandPink »

This is a photo-related project. I'm refurbishing my shelf system for handling the bigger 16 x 20 " developing trays.
I have re-varnished the two ply ( 3/4" ) shelves, but have just bought some 3mm white acrylic to face the upper surfaces, for easier cleaning.
I'm wondering which sort of adhesive to use. Both surfaces are airtight. I was thinking some sort of contact adhesive.
I can wet&dry the varnish surface to make it pretty smooth before laminating.

The shelves will not be under much stress in use, and I can weight the acrylic with books etc for a while while it's curing.
KIF_0979.JPG
KIF_0979.JPG (177 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15664 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I got some Evo-stik 'Impact' and have done a test on a small offcut, seems to have worked well. No reaction with the acrylic and the bond seems strong enough.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15665 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:22 pm
jack wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:44 am When you first mentioned this, I was determined to set it up. Damn. Another project. More standby power...
Dead simple to set up. Assuming you’ve got a spare pi, you just need one of these

UGREEN USB Sound Card, USB to...

And one of these in a suitable housing. I used the body of a fancy rca plug.

https://micbooster.com/microphone-capsu ... em272.html

All about it here: https://github.com/mcguirepr89/BirdNET-Pi
I've got this set up and running, but it's giving completely bollocks results - Today, it claims: Bronzy Inca
Cuban Tody
Eurasian Nutcracker
Mexican Chickadee
...all or any of which would be extraordinary in SE England, but certainly very VERY unlikely. I'm thinking more on the lines of Song Thrush, Wren, Blackbird etc.

Is there some localisation trick I'm missing? I've set the Longitude & Latitude...
shane
Social outcast

#15666 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Not that I know of, but I’ll have a word with Tom. He set it up for me.

I do get some odd results occasionally. It consistently tells me that there’s a Scops Owl nearby, which I find rather unlikely, but most of the time it’s pretty good.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15667 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

It may be that I'm just using an underpowered Pi... it's actually a 3B, not a 3B+, so potentially not quite up to this use case...

I've ordered a new Pi4 4GB from Pimorini as the other Pi4 I bought recently (an 8GB one) is now a testbed for something else...

Doing this little project also made me audit all the Pis I have:
  • An original Pi model B, aka Pi 1B
  • 1 x Pi Zero
  • 2 x Pi 2B
  • 2 x Pi 3B
  • 2 x Pi 3B+
  • 3 x Pi 4 (2 x 8GB, 1 x 4GB)
Those in bold are in use or about to be in use, so I have the others to get rid of as although they'll run 32-bit Linux, I doubt they'll ever be used by me in anger again.

So, anyone want one to play with one for GBP 10 for the Pi 1B & 2Bs and GBP 15 for the 3Bs plus P&P at cost, let me know - they're perfectly good little Linux boxen... I have some WiPi USB WiFi adapters for these somewhere too... any other bits I find that are specific to these boards, e.g. cases etc. I will probably just chuck in on a first come, first served basis.

Nick - if this should be in "For Sale", please move it...
Nick
Site Admin

#15668 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Nick - if this should be in "For Sale", please move it...
We have no rules about "should", but if you want to put it in the for sale, I can either move it for you, or you can just duplicate it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#15669 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Tom tells me that there’s a setting for lat and long which it uses for calculating likeyhoods. Go into tools, then to settings and it’s in there. It’ll ask you for a username and password. The username is birdnet, leave the password blank.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15670 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:55 am Tom tells me that there’s a setting for lat and long which it uses for calculating likeyhoods.e jydge Go into tools, then to settings and it’s in there. It’ll ask you for a username and password. The username is birdnet, leave the password blank.
Yep. Thanks for asking, but I did that right at the start as if you don't it just nags you all the time!

I'll reserve judgement until I get the dedicated pi4 for it in the next day or so.

It's getting progressively more bonkers... I love today's new additions, especially the "Red" one...

2023-06-21 18_14_32-BirdNET.png
2023-06-21 18_14_32-BirdNET.png (8.39 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
shane
Social outcast

#15671 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

We get a lot of red-knobbed pigeons round here. Especially in the mating season…
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15672 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:24 pm We get a lot of red-knobbed pigeons round here. Especially in the mating season…
:lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
brig001
Old Hand

#15673 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

shane wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:24 pm We get a lot of red-knobbed pigeons round here. Especially in the mating season…
Are they metric or imperial?
shane
Social outcast

#15674 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Whitworth, I think. They’re a pretty old design.
Greg
Social outcast

#15675 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Bit of a coarse screw then?
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)