Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by vinylnvalves »

The year is marching on, and I haven’t decided what to take to the WAM show in October. The challenge has been that Covid has affected my hearing, hopefully temporarily. So I am unable to currently decide whether the ES250 horn with the planars sound better than my existing midrange AMT horns, that I have demonstrated at Owston previously. So I am wondering if anybody is willing to come around for a speaker bake off. I will of course provide some refreshments.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by Toppsy »

Whereabouts in the country are you located?
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#3 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Ah yes, most of you don’t know :oops:

I am near Nottingham about 10 mins off M1 junction 27 if coming from the north.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by Paul Barker »

Its about time I thought to myself, better research this WAM show…..

You can keep it, not my bag

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Max N
Old Hand

#5 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by Max N »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:08 pm Its about time I thought to myself, better research this WAM show…..

You can keep it, not my bag

Try Googling hifi wigwam show
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#6 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Definitely the wrong show…. His ones up near Barnsley end of October, so in ferret country.
steve s
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by steve s »

It's a great day paul, I'm there too with one of my lads, I have a room and will be taking my set up.

I don't mind coming down steve if I'm any help.. but it would be June at the earliest as I'm rather busy at the moment and I don't have many spare weekends, so weekdays are better
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#8 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Thanks Steve, our calendar is pretty full, currently in North Devon on holiday, so will have to check my calendar when I get back.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#9 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Realised I have a day off on Tuesday 30th of May, Dave “Golden Ears” is coming around for some critical listening. You are all welcome to join us.
steve s
Shed dweller

#10 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by steve s »

Unfortunately I'm in Norfolk that week
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by Nick »

steve s wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:23 pm Unfortunately I'm in Norfolk that week
That is unfortunate, my condolences :-)

I am in Lincolnshire on Sunday so you are not alone.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#12 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by vinylnvalves »

If you think that’s bad I’m in North Yorkshire the week after :D
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by vinylnvalves »

After a few hectic hours of swapping out different midrange arrangements, Dave and I came to a consensus. The downside is I don’t think I will be able to ever play “crime of the century” A side after listening to it about a dozen times. :D

For both types of driver, planar and air mass transformers AMT, adding the the wave guides to them, changes the presentation from bland to engaging. So wave guides stay. The planar drivers have a slightly different presentation to the existing AMT’s which I shown at Owston, there is slightly more micro detail, and Dave surmises that the THD will be lower too.
However there is a challenge with them, the divider that blends the multi horns into the one mouth, needs to be at eye level and level, not angled, our it causes phasing issues. So the cabinet with the bass drivers will need to be shorter to get the horn/wide guide at ear level.

There was some discussion on whether a single throated wave guide, would have less phasing issues.

So lots to think about, I didn’t think I could improve on the AMT midrange, but it looks like planar drivers could have the edge, if the surface area is increased to be comparable with the AMT’s.
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by Nick »

Unrelated loudspeaker question that occurred to me. has anyone taken a electrostatic bass panel and put it inside a sealed box or a port loaded one?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#15 Re: Help with what speakers to take to the WAM show.

Post by vinylnvalves »

The closest to a closed box panel speaker for bass frequencies are DML’s, which I think Martin Logan did one.

Again one advantage of today’s listening and measuring, is that the wave guide, gives around 6db more output forward than rearward, so the cardioid effects is beneficial compared to OB. Being strictly correct the output is the same front and back , if the felt to attenuate the backwave is minimal but the output is focussed over 90 degs instead of 180 degs, so louder in the listening arc.