CAD systems...

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 CAD systems...

Post by jack »

For years I've used SolidEdge 2D Free which is a true, parametric, 2D professional CAD system and as its name suggests, it's FREE. The 3D version always cost a fortune as it's up there with the best of professional systems...

Now, Siemens have a FREE 3D hobbyist/maker version at: https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... /community

For professional CAD, it's superb.

I'm also experimenting with FreeCAD - I'd appreciate anyone else's experiences with other FREE decent CAD systems.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: CAD systems...

Post by Nick »

I use librecad on Linux. Its not perfect, but my requirements are small.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#3 Re: CAD systems...

Post by vinylnvalves »

Will have to look at the free 3D version, to see if it can do complex surfaces, ie horn profiles. Then maybe I don’t need to continue to work just to get access to the NX software, which is £40k a seat for the individual. Oh I forgot the slight challenge of money :D
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: CAD systems...

Post by jack »

Looking at Onshape as well. Increasingly popular...

This is an interesting free parametric 3D modeller as it's cloud-based and looks & feels very like the Google tools.

Lots of advantages if you are mostly working where there's a good internet connection.

Good clients for Android and iOS too ..
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: CAD systems...

Post by simon »

I've used AutoCAD for over 30 years, only needed 2D, but I'm also reliant on work for access. Do any of the free ones have a similar look and feel to AutoCAD?
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#6 Re: CAD systems...

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Bugger - WIndows only.

I've been enduring TurboCAD Mac for years to do all my chassis design, it's a bit flaky and crashy at times (oh how I love when it falls over during file saves, irreparably corrupting them in the process) but everything else I've looked at either has an unfathomable interface, is crippled by the lack of one or more features that I use regularly, or is absurdly priced.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#7 Re: CAD systems...

Post by jack »

FreeCAD is a bit clunky. SolidEdge is very good, but has a tiny general market share.

I'm only interested in full 3D parameterised systems, rather than 2D, which are suitable for both 3D printing and CNC machining.

Blender and some of the others are polygon based which can lead to models that can't be sliced for 3d printing.

Firstly you need to define what you're trying to achieve. If you're doing engineering only (not 3d models for animation), then you really need a proper parameterised system. Tinkercad, SketchUp and other simple systems just don't meet my needs.

Onshape is actually looking pretty cool and it's architecture is really neat. I'm going to spend the next few days going through the tutorials.
Last edited by jack on Fri May 26, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: CAD systems...

Post by simon »

I'm not bothered about CNC or 3D printing (one day maybe), I use CAD for understanding spatial relationships predominantly. It's usually a lot quicker than geometry.

Nobody's mentioned Fusion - I've never tried it as it seems to be for CNC/3D printing? And it looks more complicated that I need. But it's free.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: CAD systems...

Post by jack »

I've used Fusion 360 as it comes with my Eagle subscription.

I find it complex and clunky. YMMV.
Thermionic Idler wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:52 pm Bugger - WIndows only.
It runs under Parallels.
Last edited by jack on Fri May 26, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.