General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#616 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

It's all a bit other worldly to me at the mo because the surgeon explained that for those people that wear glasses there is often no need to wear them after the op.
Yep, I could choose to have lenses fitted that would correct for distance or close up, I chose distance. This was all NHS, there were loads of other private options but none of them seemed to add anything that was worth the extra cost (to me at least).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#617 Re: General health matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

There may be medical advances but these have not yet extended to problems with the Brain .

The situation Paul describes has been very much my experience .

The bleed was so bad , they told my wife that I would be confined to bed or a neck supporting wheelchair , never properly speak and mentally impaired .
I spent 4 1/2 months in hospital and nobody mentioned neuroplasticity once .
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#618 Re: General health matters.

Post by simon »

jack wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:32 pm I've found these very good - they last ages, far better than the Boots and other so-called premium ones:

4-Pack Rectangular Retro Style Men Reading Glasses Spring Hinges Comfortable Readers (+1.50, 2 Black 2 Tortoise) https://amzn.eu/d/3OR8ELi
Top tip thanks, they do feel better than the usual cheap readers. I'm impressed for the money, time will tell how long it is before I break a pair!
Nick
Site Admin

#619 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

There may be medical advances but these have not yet extended to problems with the Brain.
I find it very hard to believe that there have been zero advances in treatment for brain injuries in the last 40 years.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#620 Re: General health matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Then list meaningful ones .

I can't think of any . They are just understanding neuroplasticity and this is slowly filtering into treatment.

From my own experience , I can't think of how the treatment I got would be any different from the 70s .

My bleed was deep in the brain , had it been on the surface ,the removal of my skull to stop pressure was first done in the 80s . Had I had a ischemic stroke there are new clot busting drugs . .

Once it's over and your not dead , the treatment as been the same for a while

So whilst you may find it difficult to believe .
Nick
Site Admin

#621 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Well first one that springs to mind is the use of MRI imaging. But it's not worth competing.
Nick
Site Admin

#622 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#623 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

That'll do.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#624 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

DQ you mention new drugs is that not you providing contarian evidence against your assertment?
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#625 Re: General health matters.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

They work by busting clots , not a great understanding of the brain needed.

I don't deny we have made advances but the workings of the brain remain a mystery.

Also there is a difference between cutting edge research and accepted orthodoxy which informs treatment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#626 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I've got my annual review at the Doctors shortly, and I went to have my blood test yesterday afternoon at 15:10.

This morning at 09:10 I get a phone call from the Doctors wanting me to see the diabetic nurse ! (not a nurse with diabetes. :D ) They say I'm very close to being diabetic, but I was after last years tests.

I did a blood sugar test this morning after getting up , and it was 6.4 mmol which (it seems) is the upper limit before pre-diabetes is confirmed.

Even the Doctors were surprised how quick the blood test results came back.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#627 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

Nearly at end of week of (mostly) lying on my front... Next week I can get up but am not allowed to do anything, even lift a shopping bag.

Vision in right eye will takes weeks to fully recover as the gas (C2F6) slowly absorbs. Currently it's like someone has smeared thick vaseline over the pupil. No driving for 6 weeks.

On the upside, my post-op check at St Thomas' on Monday was positive with the retina flat against the back of the eye again, plus I now have vision (of sorts) over the whole of the eye with no black areas.

Onwards!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#628 Re: General health matters.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:53 am ... see the diabetic nurse ! (not a nurse with diabetes. :D )
I see what you did there. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#629 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:30 pm
pre65 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:53 am ... see the diabetic nurse ! (not a nurse with diabetes. :D )
I see what you did there. Image
:lol:

It was suggested that I go on statins, to which I refused, but I've changed my mind and will discuss the matter with the nurse (by phone) on Monday.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#630 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

After 6 weeks, back at St Thomas's for, hopefully, sign off...

Thankfully, all well and I can drive again, fly, swim etc.

Focus in right eye is not 100%, but close. The surgeon says I should see gradual improvement (SWIDT) over the next 6 months.

When I was there (Wednesday) it was the 75th anniversary of the NHS and they were doing some fundraising for extras for the kids wards etc, so they got a good donation.

Just got to love the NHS. For anything acute, there's nothing better.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt