Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#15556 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

RE: the national mobile telephone emergency alert

not really in a position to comment because I don't have a mobile phone..but....

the mem sahib didn't receive an alert so after the BBC discussions I checked her phone and lo and behold there is a switch that has to be turned on to allow such alerts to be received...

cynic here had to ask the questions

1. how many people know that there is a switch(which seems to be defaulted to off)?
2. how effective is a national initiative that relies on people being aware of, and then choosing to set the switch?

just musin
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#15557 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:03 pm the networks were culpable , in particular three . and there all foreign owned .
Can’t answer for the others but the EE network belongs to EE. EE belongs entirely to BT. BT I believe is still largely British owned.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15558 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:02 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:03 pm the networks were culpable , in particular three . and there all foreign owned .
Can’t answer for the others but the EE network belongs to EE. EE belongs entirely to BT. BT I believe is still largely British owned.
...as is Vodaphone and O2. EE was independent until 2016 when BT bought it.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#15559 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

In fact, when EE was created from the merger of Orange UK and T-Mobile UK, the former was owned by France Telecom and the latter by Deutch Telekom, both of whom wished to withdraw from the UK market (very sensible, in the light of subsequent developments here!), so the whole raison d’etre of EE, or EverythingEverywhere as it was then, was to flog it off to someone as soon as it was born. Enter BT…

I thought it was longer ago than 2016, but every year working for them feels like an eternity!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15560 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#15561 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Its when you connect your multimeter to 650v and realize its set on ohms that you are glad you bought a Fluke.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#15562 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Or '...should have bought a Fluke'
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
brig001
Old Hand

#15563 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

Just finished siliconing the bathroom and I am now an expert. Unfortunately I’ll be back to novice level before I need to do any again

Brian
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15564 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

It's happening!

Pole went in the garden in a rainstorm on Thursday 22:00. Massive Mini Mog with auger, Hiab, poles etc. drove over the lawns and off to the soft fruit garden by the road where they planted it. Dreadful weather and we now have 250mm deep & wide tyre tracks everywhere...

Yesterday the tree surgeons came and cleared a 2mtr diameter hole through our ancient yews by the road - about 8mtrs up. Road is closed and also lane opposite.

Today we have a very nice team of Filipinos who are converting all the poles in the lane opposite to 3 phase and running a new enormous 200A 3phase+N twisted cable from a drum at the far end of the lane over the poles there, then over the road, through the yew trees and on to the new pole in our garden. Three huge copper rods have been driven into the veg beds for the earth strap at our end, and the same has been done at the far end and middle of the lane.

Then the neighbors, all of whom are currently without power (*), will have taps taken off the new cable to their properties. It's tricky as the poles are also carrying FTTP. Neighbors will lose power from between 5 hours to a day - they were warned about all this 2 weeks ago.

Overall, there's about 250mtrs of cable on the poles from the far end of the lane to us, mostly in a straight line which makes tensioning easier.

Once the termination is done. We move onto the next phase which is supposedly on Tuesday, when we have 85mtrs of lawn trenched plus a chunk of our drive, hopefully avoiding the heat pump coils, the oil (no longer used) and gas pipes to the house, the electric, grey & foul water feeds to the septic tank & the water mains. Odds are that they mess at least one of those up.

Then our bit of the 3P+N+E 100A cable is laid (about 100mtrs - the "earth" is at the pole and may just be tied to neutral), jointed to the new pole and the tail from our meter cupboard and the trenches are backfilled. If all goes well, we're ready to go off the generator and back to utility power, two months after the original failure (3rd March).

This garden used to be open under the National Garden Scheme in aid of Macmillan Nurses, but the lawns are severely damaged and will be in a far worse condition by the time this is over, so UKPN have a "remediation team" who are supposed to make everything good again... I reserve judgement on that until we see how good they are...

(*) Being on the mahoosive generator, we're ok thanks!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#15565 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

You in Devon today, Phil?

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15566 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nice one Shane. :)

I was in Lincoln for a week.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15567 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Gerraway! And what were you doing in Lincoln for a week? :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15568 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:56 pm Gerraway! And what were you doing in Lincoln for a week? :D
The EBF (English Bowls Federation) were holding their indoor bowls finals week at Lincoln indoor bowls club, and as Jean is the women's president for NE Essex she had to attend. Being a dutiful partner I went as well.

It wasn't too onerous and I watched a lot of very good bowls players in action. :)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15569 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15570 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Keep wondering should I get a helping hands - managed so far .... Image

Magnifier tho would be the icing on the wosname...Image

Re bowls - more involved than I expected! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."