Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15526 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:38 am
ed wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:38 pm my bandsaw bit me today..the first time he's done that..

I guess it's all part of the cutting, drilling, filing, bleeding thing
You look after yourself Ed, we don't come with spares!
Agree with the sentiment, however humans have quite a lot of redundancy, not for some of the major organs admittedly, but certainly for peripherals (eyes, ears, hands, feet fingers, toes, teeth etc.) and some internal organs (lungs, kidneys, ovaries, testicles etc.).
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#15527 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:19 pm Agree with the sentiment, however humans have quite a lot of redundancy, not for some of the major organs admittedly, but certainly for peripherals (eyes, ears, hands, feet fingers, toes, teeth etc.) and some internal organs (lungs, kidneys, ovaries, testicles etc.).
Redundant means not required so I'm not sure it is the correct term to use in this context for all your examples; yes we can lose an eye, an ear, a foor, etc. but the cost is impairment of the original function.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15528 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Small update on the power situation...

On 27/03 we were allocated a "Customer Care" representative as I'm starting a formal complaint with Ofgem...

On the 29/03 they tell me that the issue will be sorted on the next Monday or Tuesday (03/04 or 04/04).

On Monday afternoon (03/04 - the one month anniversary since we first lost power) a huge team turn up. There's a MASSIVE lorry stuck halfway reversed down our drive - this thing has cranes, augers and a stack of telephone poles on it. It is HUGE. It's an automatic hole digging and pole planting beast and it's stuck on the drive under a tree. They were supposed to bring a small truck so they can get access to where the new pole will be in the garden (100mtrs over a lawn). Even if this thing could get in, it'd destroy that lawn.

There's also a team of linesmen, smaller vans full of cable and other trucks. The guy in charge is a chap I've seen before, a couple of years ago when this all started. The guy that was supposed be running this and with whom I'd had two onsite meetings, went on holiday and is now off sick having not told anyone anything.

We go for a walk around the site and down the roads outside where the new cable will have to be run. He's not been briefed and there's no paperwork. I have to explain everything.

Our neighbours will lose power for at least 5 hours and possibly a day while all this is done. So the team start knocking on doors to check that folk are ok and are aware of all this and that noone is a "vulnerable person" who will need special care. Noone has been told anything in advance.

It turns out that there is a statutory requirement to give two weeks written notice of this sort of stuff. UKPN have not done this.

Not only had noone done the ticketing (or even started organising this), nobody had organised the necessary tree surgeons, there was no traffic control team or equipment, indeed noone had even contacted the council and police to ask for the road closure (cables will be run overhead over the road). And anyway, the wrong size poles were on the truck stuck in our drive.

Everything they could have done wrong, they successfully indeed had done wrong, so 100% on that test and a gold star ⭐!

So, I tried to contact our "Customer Service" agent. She's now off sick so I speak to yet another one who tells me that nothing will now happen until next week and that we most likely have another 3 weeks or so on the generator.

Another 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.

To add insult to injury, the spoil from the hole that they originally dug on 04/03 (unnecessarily and still there) in the wildflower (snowdrop/fritillary) garden is piled against the wall of the house and we now have damp in the dining room - the plaster is "blowing" and the paint is coming off...

The 100kva generator continues to thunder away outside our bedroom, happily consuming 60lts of fuel a day - about 2,500lts so far. A good night's sleep is but a distant memory. A light smog drifts past our front door and the delicate scent of diesel pervades the house...

Happy Easter everyone!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15529 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Thanks for the update.

A lesser man would be driven to drink.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#15530 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Had some distortion issues with the jvc y5. Initially thought it was the cart, changed the cart a known good one, for the dv off the xerxes.
Issue persists.
Put the same record on the lenco, no issues at all.
Checked the tracking weight on the jvc and its a mile out from what the dial says, almost a gram. So reset that using the dial and a stylus balance.
Then turned the deck off so the arm electronics are off to check the arm is static balanced properly, it requires that the arm is static balanced first so the electronics are working from an arm set to zero in all perameters. That was fine, now turn it all back on and the tracking weight is way out again, but now corresponds to the dials.
Turning off the q damping by zeroing the dial makes it behave itself better.
So, i can only conclude that i have the beginnings of some sort of component failure in the arm electronics.
I suppose that the first port if call is the dial pots. Can try some servisol first, that depends on access. I think it must be signal related because the transport controls work fine so the actual motors are working fine and the responses to the control buttons are exactly what they should be..
40 year old electronics...
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ant
Shed dweller

#15531 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Well today it is behaving itself and i havent used the servisol because i didnt get around to it. For some reason either power cycling it or the moving of the pots seems to have cleared the fault for now.
Hmm
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P

#15532 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

The gadget arrived today.

Ray P

#15533 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I'm having a boys day out on Friday - meeting up with my best friend from school at the Duxford air museum. I anticipate much reminiscing about our Airfix kit builds...
Neal
Shed dweller

#15534 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Bit windy outside!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15535 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Not arf – it's just blown down my TV aerial! :shock:

Mind you only gusting 33 mph, we've had much worse. :D

The mast had snapped off right at the chimney clamp, doubtless metal fatigue.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15536 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

The forecast says about 10-15mph here, but looking at the trees across the road there are stronger gusts.

And now the may blossom is out I can start casting clout. :lol:

Bluebells are about, but only in small clumps.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15537 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Had to Google that! :lol: No I'm not yet either .. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15538 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Talking of Googling things, I'm finding Google has changed how it searches for things, and I don't like the change.

What other search engines are recommended ?

I'm not keen on Bing either. :(

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#15539 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

DuckDuckGo
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15540 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Greg wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:09 amDuckDuckGo
Yep. It's my default search engine too, though it's quite restricted in the results it returns, and because it does not maintain context, the results may be less focussed than you are used to.

Consider the Epic browser too...

Sidenote: Just got my best ever Scrabble score. Quite chuffed.