Dovedale mk 3

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#1 Dovedale mk 3

Post by Daniel Quinn »

As I've just finished my definitive power amps , that didn't turn out to be definitive as I realised an aesthetic improvement halfway through. Alas

I am now turning my attention speakers

It will be my third remodelling of a wharfedale dovedale .

Picked some very nice empty cabs , very nice venner in excellent condition . With this version I'm going to use parts from China , to see if there crap or as I suspect , simply a lot cheaper .

Picked up some tweeters , which have the same design as my seas ones for a fifth of the price .same magnet , same dimensions and same diaphragm .

And a pair of dome mid range drivers , which are as expensive than the only commercial ones I can find , but they look good and there from China , so Im keeping the theme .

More to follow .

Post script.

I thought about buying from China , the pros and the cons , in the end I couldn't see the difference from buying from a western capitalist country and a pseudo capitalist country , except for the snobbery and potentially libellous comments of the former towards the latter .
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Dovedale mk 3

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You do talk bollocks really... its not even amusing. How on earth could anything from China be like a 'dovedale' mk3? What you get might very pretty good but who makes the crossover for starters?

I like dovedale mk3. I've had at least three but whatever they are, they are a bit muddy blah blah, imho.

Where on earth in China (hmmmm) would you get anyone who could look you in the eyes and say this or that driver is a substitute for anything in a Wharfedale Dovedale mk3 box?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: Dovedale mk 3

Post by shane »

Looks like PJC beat you to it, although ironically this will be the first Wharfedale speaker built in the UK since IAG bought the name.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/wharfedal ... er-revival
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Dovedale mk 3

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Crikey! But what's in a name?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#5 Re: Dovedale mk 3

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Andrew im sure there is a valid point in there but alas you
have beaten me .

And the reworked dovedales with drivers from China are 5k
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#6 Re: Dovedale mk 3

Post by Daniel Quinn »

The tweeters have arrived .

I bought 2 sets , a soft dome one (£26 for 2 ) and a metal dome one .30 each .

I replaced the seas one in my current speakers with the Chinese soft dome , just a case of soldering .

They are as good if not slightly better .