Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15481 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:21 am I just bought this bad boy. The idea is to design a mono power amp and power supply around it, specifically for playing Meredith's 78rpm records and other early mono stuff, probably into a big single-driver corner speaker. (Mr Cresswell Jr you will likely have mail soon). Cost me less than I thought it would, in fact it would likely have cost me more just to buy the Mullard ECC83 and EF86 that are inside it! :D Looks like it's had a recent service as the old caps have been replaced with modern film equivalents and the RCA sockets also look new.

That's lovely. So pretty!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15482 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:21 am I just bought this bad boy. The idea is to design a mono power amp and power supply around it, specifically for playing Meredith's 78rpm records and other early mono stuff, probably into a big single-driver corner speaker. (Mr Cresswell Jr you will likely have mail soon). Cost me less than I thought it would, in fact it would likely have cost me more just to buy the Mullard ECC83 and EF86 that are inside it! :D Looks like it's had a recent service as the old caps have been replaced with modern film equivalents and the RCA sockets also look new.

Cool :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15483 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Very cool. :thumbleft:

Just lost a 128G flash drive. By 'lost' I don't mean literally, I mean corrupted, won't repair, won't format. :(

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#15484 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

sometimes you can recover them with a partition tool...I've been lucky and recovered quite a few which seemed lost in a windows environment whereby the disk manager wont recognise them.

I have a boot disk with debian and just a partition manager...I haven't found a corrupt memory stick that it wont sort out yet, and I've done a few.

If you can find an ISO image of ''GPARTED' with a debian boot image...it might be a free way to aviod binning the flash drive
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15485 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Shipbuilding 101: Don't drop it
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ant
Shed dweller

#15486 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Had to buy a new sodding sander now. Bloody ryobi crap havent even had it that long.
Bought a dewalt on offer. Which better last this time
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15487 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

ed wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 pm sometimes you can recover them with a partition tool...I've been lucky and recovered quite a few which seemed lost in a windows environment whereby the disk manager wont recognise them.

I have a boot disk with debian and just a partition manager...I haven't found a corrupt memory stick that it wont sort out yet, and I've done a few.

If you can find an ISO image of ''GPARTED' with a debian boot image...it might be a free way to aviod binning the flash drive
Unfortunately I chucked it into the waste paper bin in the corner of the room in disgust – and then forgot all about it. It went out with the trash last Wednesday! Image

Fortunately, I had previously made copy of it onto a 256 GB SD card, just to see if it would do it I think, so all I had to do was update that and we're good. :thumbleft:

And I found GPARTED on the web so that's useful to know thanks. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15488 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

:shock: 'ere, theres summat funny going on down here!?

Our local Micro Pub has changed its name recently, its now...

...and now I've found this in the local supermarket!

Should I inform the Monopolies and Mergers commission yet? :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15489 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Whoa ! Spooky ...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15490 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:33 pm Whoa ! Spooky ...
:lol: Thats what we said!
Nick
Site Admin

#15491 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

As it happens, the trademark on Longdog doesn't cover drinks as there was already that brewery. I remember that back when I applied for the trademark.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15492 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Ah! :)

Dan, the owner, refers to Long Dogs as those little legged Sausage-shaped dogs not Lurchers in this case too.
Nick
Site Admin

#15493 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Yep, these are the ones I was thinking of https://www.longdogbrewery.co.uk. The logo is clearly not a Dachshund.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15494 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Ah yeah, I see. Very different dogs/business.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLongDogDartford/
Neal
Shed dweller

#15495 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

If anybody has noticed the world is moving to VoIP. Digital phone lines to you and me. This all sounds a great idea; no more PSTN lines, joint voice and data services provided over a single connection. Lowers cost for the telco's and lowers cost for the consumer...well it should do.

But there are downsides though, one of my clients (sports club, whom I'm helping) got that call from BT, yes Sir 'Its going to happen...' but we have a great deal and your cost will be lower.....OK lets do it!

Firstly, the club has an alarm (intruder and fire) that uses the phone line to alert a monitoring company in case of an issue, 'no problem Sir we can install a BT Redcare device that will alert of issues using 2G/4G on the EE network'. Cool! However, that's only if you can get a reliable signal....guess who can't!

Three visits later the alarm company finally installs a high gain Ariel that just about manages to get a 'two bar' signal and we are up and running...well, until the EE mast goes down and we are now off-line.... :bounce:

As for VoIP itself, BT have issues...apparently the Club's broadband is not 'compatible' with VoIP so we have to have a new broadband service installed, I suspect it's because VoIP uses sogea to combine Voice and data....OK lets install a new broadband service...I inform BT that the Club uses a static WAN IP address for its cloud based services, like the door entry system, booking system and automated light control.....OH!

Sorry Sir we cant for 'technical reasons' assign a static IP to your new service, OK not even transferring over our existing one? Not at this time Sir we will have to cancel your order until we can resolve the issue.

Marvellous.

VoIP is coming to you.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.