Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#15391 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I don't think 'audio talk' or indeed Europe and America is Putin's target audience.

I would therefore be reluctant to dismiss him as a jerk.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#15392 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I don't get the connection.

Now if I were to call you or even Phil, Nick or anyone else a jerk would ther then be a connection.

Given that NATO, USA, Europe is now at war with Tovarisch Putin according to Pitin I'm not sure there isn't any opprobrium that cannot be aimed at him.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#15393 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Putin speech was to none target audience , idiotic.

He knew his audience , therefore I don't think he's a idiot .

Also calling him a jerk, is hardly opprobrium as well as been factually incorrect . He may be many things but a jerk isn't one of them.

Addendum

My use of the word jerk deosnt chime with the dictionary of slang . It seems therefore calling him a jerk may be factually correct🤣
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15394 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Did you confuse it with 'Jerkin' ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15395 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:38 pm
Addendum

My use of the word jerk deosnt chime with the dictionary of slang . It seems therefore calling him a jerk may be factually correct🤣
I googled a slang dictionary for "jerk" and got many and various answers, so it depends on which definition you have chosen. :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#15396 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

This is getting very silly (again) what's the point!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15397 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:23 pm This is getting very silly (again) what's the point!
Did you want the 5 minute argument, or the full half hour ? :lol:

I see Biden is telling Putin he can't win the war in Ukraine, and that China are (seemingly) ready to supply Putin with munitions.

It does not bode well.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15398 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15399 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

He turned into a virulent Trump supporter a few years ago. It seems very odd, it's difficult to reconcile that with the cartoons and the humour.
Nick
Site Admin

#15400 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

There is a strange right wing bias in a lot of the US programmer community, it often shocks me as I normally assume (and often find) a correlation between rational thinking and a left leaning view of the world.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#15401 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Just to add, I realized many years ago how unfunny Dilbert was, it was just a repeating sequence of failure with the characters while seeming (in some cases) to be intelligent repeatedly fail to see the repeating patters they engage in and fail to grow or change in any way. yes I know its just a cartoon, but that aspect of it overcame the initial funny setup from many years ago (at least for me).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

#15402 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Nick wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:23 am ………..I normally assume (and often find) a correlation between rational thinking and a left leaning view of the world.
Me too.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15403 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

There's always a half-life with most creative things, especially humour. The material is only good for a few years. Same with the Simpsons. I belive Scott Adams ducked out of writing all the stuff himself a few years ago, I suppose he was there in an advisory role.
Nick
Site Admin

#15404 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:09 pm There's always a half-life with most creative things, especially humour. The material is only good for a few years. Same with the Simpsons. I belive Scott Adams ducked out of writing all the stuff himself a few years ago, I suppose he was there in an advisory role.
I agree that's true, but I think its more a case of the half life of the viewer rather than the creator. I no longer find the earlier cartoons funny (for the same reason I find the later ones non funny), those cartoons haven't changed so the change must be external to the cartoon, basically me.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15405 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Well I haven't suffered from that myself (lucky, I guess) . I still think ones like 'My project is a paradigm' and 'whoa, let me get my reorg boots' are very nicely constructed. They are regularly wheeled out in response to current company-wide announcements.