No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It's a very strange looking cd player, how on earth does it work?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by shane »

Depends what sort of offers he’s open to! Going price on eBay is around £1000 to £2000. Fab turntable though.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P

#4 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:19 am It's a very strange looking cd player, how on earth does it work?
It's magic!
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ah, now that I do understand.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#6 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Bah! I tried a punt but it's since gone onto eBay. Which is the right thing to do from the seller's perspective. Figured I'd go for the triumvirate - Garrard, Lenco and Thorens. Oh well.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Paul Barker

#7 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by Paul Barker »

I found for suspension method the Michelle gyrodek on a marble pinth was the very best. All the others were substandard to the Garrard 301 by a wide margine. But not the Michelle on marble, oh no, the highes on the michelle tranced the 301. But the bass of the 301 tranced the michelle. So Id say they are equals in quality, just shine in different styles to each other. I regret massively selling my Michelle marble. I’ll just have to settle for my 301.

I’d never bother with a Linn a Thoxrens an AR or any other suspesion deck but the marble michelle. But thats only the models I have owned and used. Im not ever going to buy any of the more expensive modern offerings of deck ideas. Way out of my budget.

Just my farthing’s worth of input.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P

#8 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by Ray P »

Paul, not sure if you are working on the basis of the Thorens TD124 being a suspended sub-chassis turntable like the TD160, Linn etc. but it is quite different. There's some information here;

https://stereo-magazine.com/review/thor ... 124-review
Paul Barker

#9 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by Paul Barker »

OKAY Im thinking of the wrong Thorens. Thanks for pointing that out.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
steve s
Shed dweller

#10 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by steve s »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:15 pm Bah! I tried a punt but it's since gone onto eBay. Which is the right thing to do from the seller's perspective. Figured I'd go for the triumvirate - Garrard, Lenco and Thorens. Oh well.
I have a spare 3012 and a grease 301, and to be fair the 124/ frs64s is not used too as I've just sold my spu synergy, not that it had any use

My recent refurbed oil 301 and decca ffss/ professional arm sound very well at Owston on the Sunday, once the amp input was sorted, but it's not been used since..
I love having a deck in the system, but use it... nahhh
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ant
Shed dweller

#11 Re: Liquorice Pizza Player

Post by Ant »

When i rebuilt a 124 for a customer i stuck a 3009 on it to test it. I thought it was quite good, beautifully made.
Maybe a bit sweeter than a 301 at the top end, a bit loose in the bass compared to the 301. I find my lenco smoother and tighter all round, lenco was better than both at the top than both but does not have the characteristic 301 bass slam and punch which is the 301 party trick. The thorens has a distinctive sound which i find is quite coloured but enjoyable nontheless. They are a lot of money, but look to be somewhere between 301 and 401 money so the choice is yours. Can be a pig to get a non runner running though because they are fairly complicated, but once troubleshot spares are easy to get hold of
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com