Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#241 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

This is not a music video as such, but it is music related. :)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#242 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

Rally driving (with pace notes) in Killarney on closed roads.

You need 100% confidence in your navigator !

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#243 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:45 pm This is not a music video as such, but it is music related. :)

Wow! :shock: :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#244 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by IslandPink »

I just went out for (free) dinner with some technical people from Sweden.
We got onto the subject of classic cars, and lots of time was spent discussing our ownership of Porsche, Lotus, BMW.
Their main technical guy said "Do you watch 'Harry's Garage"
I said "Yes, and have you seen Tyrrell's Classic Workshop ?"
He said "Oh yes, I think we are on the same page"
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#245 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

A Network Rail video explaining how rail transport deals with the insatiable appetite for biomas at Drax power station.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#246 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Just true engineering love...

The "Beast of Turin" has always been a favourite...

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#247 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by simon »

I found the first half particularly of thus video interesting
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#248 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

:thumbleft:

This IS a music video, but I was fascinated by the sprawling industrial landscape, which seems to go on without end ... :shock:

Hazarding a guess it's Japan, as the artist 'Iori Asano is an Okinawa based DJ/Musician.'

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#249 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Konstintin Kisin is a very interesting guy. Been listening to him for years - loads around the net from him. Intelligent. Thoughtful. Rational.

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#250 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've tried to follow the eight episodes in which Mr Kisin was one. The eighth episode was far more coherent and reasonable. I can't find it to listen again, searching as I am. Perhaps no8 has been cancelled. The Kisin chap never clearly elucidated what he meant by woke culture, his examples were just things he disagreed with and his standpoint was brazenly right wing reaction. Quite a poor do.

But I will listen to his other talks as YouTube make it easy to find. Not impressed at all.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#251 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:59 pm I've tried to follow the eight episodes in which Mr Kisin was one. The eighth episode was far more coherent and reasonable. I can't find it to listen again, searching as I am. Perhaps no8 has been cancelled. The Kisin chap never clearly elucidated what he meant by woke culture, his examples were just things he disagreed with and his standpoint was brazenly right wing reaction. Quite a poor do.

But I will listen to his other talks as YouTube make it easy to find. Not impressed at all.
Yep, I was trying to work out which one sitting on the back bench was the large straw-man he introduced instead of actually making a point.

Without a doubt the best way to not go in the direction you are currently traveling in is to not steer in a different direction. That seemed to be his point as far as I could tell.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#252 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote:Without a doubt the best way to not go in the direction you are currently traveling in is to not steer in a different direction. That seemed to be his point as far as I could tell.
It maybe a bit of brain fog hanging over from COVID, but I really don't understand what you are trying to say there!

I'll listen to any cogent argument from whatever side of the fence it comes from - personally, I feel it's narrow minded not to. Remember, I'm distinctly pinko-liberal by preference...

You don't have to agree with what's said, it's an interesting (to me) perspective.

I also feel that you're being deliberately disingenuous. His point is clear (if you listen): the UK represents 2% of global carbon emissions, so he suggests we focus on technology and other approaches rather than obsessing over our current carbon emissions and the blame game (which achieves nothing). It's certainly not a popular opinion on the left of the fence, but it's difficult to argue against. Remember, he's in a debate and his audience are students - it's his job (on this occasion) to argue this particular side of the debate.

The danger of navel gazing is that you lose perspective - there are many sides to these discussions.
Nick
Site Admin

#253 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Nick »

Not sure if he is trying to make a point about climate change or "woke culture" whatever that is. But all I hear is him creating false dichotomy and trying to ignore the fact that it's possible to do more than one thing at the same time.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#254 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yep, he set it up to shoot it down. Interestingly Lenin often asked rhetorical questions and then answered them... in his terms .

Who is this guy, where's he from? Rich, educated, Russian - right wing certainly and I would think anarchistic/ elitist; probably happy to dine with the Bullingdons if he were invited. I wonder.

Pinko-libetal - what does that mean!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#255 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:41 pm Yep, he set it up to shoot it down. Interestingly Lenin often asked rhetorical questions and then answered them... in his terms .
It's a debate not a lecture. What do you expect?
Who is this guy, where's he from? Rich, educated, Russian - right wing certainly and I would think anarchistic/ elitist; probably happy to dine with the Bullingdons if he were invited. I wonder.
He's Russian/British of Jewish extraction and has a lot of family in Ukraine, some of whom are refugees. Been in the UK a long time - moved here aged 11. Passionate supporter of Ukraine.
Pinko-libetal - what does that mean!?
I don't know, but "pinko-liberal" means "left of center", but not far left.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %20liberal