SLOB project

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#301 Re: SLOB project

Post by IslandPink »

Is that a little Saba greencone at the top ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#302 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:05 pm Is that a little Saba greencone at the top ?
No Mark, both of the drive units are by Aurel Bryan, the little one is their supertweeter and the bigger is their 8in ferrite magnet full-ranger.

They also have neodymium and field coil versions of the 8inch units at reasonable prices (1700USD for the field coils)

With swappable baffles I'll be able to explore other drive units.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#303 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

Although the project is going well, the small hollow at the top right of the baffle is really bugging me - it's the result of a momentary lapse when I tilted the router over a fraction. I think I'll put a slightly larger radius on the top corners of the baffles to remove the problem.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#304 Re: SLOB project

Post by Toppsy »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:02 pm Although the project is going well, the small hollow at the top right of the baffle is really bugging me - it's the result of a momentary lapse when I tilted the router over a fraction. I think I'll put a slightly larger radius on the top corners of the baffles to remove the problem.
Yep, that momentary lapse would bug me also and agreed a larger radius to the top corners of the baffle would rid you of the eyesore and IMHO would have no detrimental affect to the baffle performance.

Interesting 8" FR driver Ray. Do you have any actual on-baffle measurements of this driver as I couldn't find anything online?
Ray P

#305 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

Toppsy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:34 pm Yep, that momentary lapse would bug me also and agreed a larger radius to the top corners of the baffle would rid you of the eyesore and IMHO would have no detrimental affect to the baffle performance.
Hi Colin.

Coincidentally, I've just finished putting a larger radius on the tops of the baffles and treated them to a first coat of finish. A baked bean tin was just the right diameter.
Toppsy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:34 pm Interesting 8" FR driver Ray. Do you have any actual on-baffle measurements of this driver as I couldn't find anything online?
Aurel Bryan are a small outfit in Indonesia and direct sell. They do have a presence, though not very active, on Facebook, but the guy was responsive and helpful when I messaged. The only other information I have is below;

Aurel Bryan FR units.jpg
Aurel Bryan FR units.jpg (76.49 KiB) Viewed 5833 times

The speaker units seem to be well regarded. I picked them up as part of a trade, the 10in Lii Audio units for these plus some Jordan drivers/cabinets (in need of re-veneering).
Ray P

#306 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

After waiting for another tin of clear satin polyurathane varnish to be delivered I planned to do some more finishing on the baffles today - got everything ready, opened the tin and found it was full of dark brown stained varnish - It doesn't do what it says on the tin!

Ray P

#307 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

Replacement tin of varnish has just been delivered - dare I open it!
Ray P

#308 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

It was clear!

Applied the second coat at about 7 this morning and hoping to get another coat applied this afternoon.
Ray P

#309 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

I've just been installing the drivers into SLOB #1. #2 to follow shortly then it's just a case of hooking up the drive units and sorting out the amplification and crossover.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#310 Re: SLOB project

Post by pre65 »

Interesting. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#311 Re: SLOB project

Post by Paul Barker »

Ditto
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P

#312 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

I don't suppose anyone has a pair of 15ohm Lowther PM6 drive units stashed away that I might be able to borrow for a trial - I would like to try them in the SLOBs to comapre with the Aural Bryan units.

Ta muchly
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#313 Re: SLOB project

Post by IslandPink »

There's some 8 ohm ones somewhere ...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#314 Re: SLOB project

Post by Nick »

In my garage in fact.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

#315 Re: SLOB project

Post by Ray P »

Thanks chaps.

Nick, might a loan be on the cards if I pay for the shipping?

I was asking about the 15ohm versions because I would like to try my SE-OTL 6C33C amp with them as well as a comparison with the Aurel Bryans but if it works out favourably I can consider that as a possible next step.

I've just taken delivery of the DIY Audio kit for the Nelson Pass crossover network so that might give some interesting possibilities.

https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_lxmin ... ssover.pdf

No urgency on this as I need to get the RTZ DAC build progressed first.