Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#526 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Our EV is a Hyundai Kona , milage when charged is 190 mile .

It's deos about 50km a day and costs £45 in electricity a Month .

That is 4 times cheaper than the BMW 2 series 7 seater used to do the same milage at today prices , it was even cheaper when petrol was at its apogee .

All charging is done at home with a home charger .
Nick
Site Admin

#527 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Out of interest I tried to get the efficiencies for DQ's car and the Volvo in the article. As far as I can tell is

Volvo 3 miles/kWh
Hyundai 4-4.3 miles/kWh

So the Hyundai is 37% more efficient than the Volvo. Also checked for Greg's Model 3 and thats 6.7 miles/kWh so over twice as efficient as the Volvo.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#528 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

I thought I'd run some numbers for my plug in hybrid in comparison. I couldn't find any figures on the Ford website when I looked 18 months ago but with it being recharging it's a bit of a guess anyway.

So, according to the car a full charge takes 5.3 hours at 10A. So 230 x 10 x 5.3 = 12.2kWh. (I get a good 240V out of the wall so that would be 12.7kWh.)

How many miles I get from that is a bit of a guess because of the recharging, but if it's say 30 miles then that's 2.5/kWh.

If my maths is correct.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#529 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

In comparison I get around 40mpg in winter and 45mpg in summer on a long run without any plug in charge, but including recharging, from the petrol engine.

Petrol's around £6.60 a gallon now. It costs about £4 to charge the car I reckon (I haven't been scientific about this) and get say 30 miles for this. Which is equivalent to £5.33 for 40 miles.

It's not night and day difference, but certainly makes sense on short trips where the engine wouldn't get warm. And there aren't any emissions in populated places from the car.

I'd rather have had another Prius though if I'd had the choice. Averaged over 60mpg for a whole year, never had to bother with charging it. Short journeys could do 90mpg if warm, and long journeys could do 80mpg if driven steadily.
Greg
Social outcast

#530 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

Yes, I find those articles like Ali linked to quite misleading and are often written by the EV novice/inexperienced. Truth is most EV owners do a little more planning before going on a long journey. With experience and knowledge of the car’s capability, there should be no range anxiety and in the Tesla case, the navigation system will automatically include in the journey plan charging stops if they are required. We often travel to deepest Cornwall from Bristol. Camborne (where the train don’t stop Tuesdays) is about 180 miles. With a 90% cheap rate charge at home and a recharge at the Camborne Tesla Supercharger for the return trip, we can complete the 360 Mile round trip for well under £40, even in winter when the battery is less efficient.
steve s
Shed dweller

#531 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

That sounds enviable Greg, we would consider one as a 2nd car, but with present purchase costs, the running cost savings would be lost within the purchase costs, but if you look at just depreciation the sums my be better (unless they keep lowering the price further of course)

But in time who knows..lesley also has a bmw 2 series, 220D, it manages close to 60mpg in summer and drops to around 45-50 on icy days/winter diesel.
Nothing fantastic, but it still makes an EV purchase a big jump.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
brig001
Old Hand

#532 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by brig001 »

Are all these numbers accurate?
360 miles @ 60 mpg is 6 gallons
6 gallons @ £6.60 = £39.60

Diesel is more expensive, but it’s close to £40 for the same journey

Definitely greener going electric, but doesn’t sound much cheaper, if at all, especially for longer journeys

Brian
Neal
Shed dweller

#533 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

This is an interesting development:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64248564
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Greg
Social outcast

#534 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

I don’t expect to make savings on long journeys away from home. Rapid (Super)chargers are expensive yet convenient because the charging is done in the time it takes to have a toilet stop and pick up a coffee. The real savings are made day to day with local journeys and charging at home. My Octopus Go contract gives me four hours a night cheap electricity at 7.14p per kWh.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#535 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:12 am This is an interesting development:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64248564
It is interesting Neal.

As I predicted (and got shot down :) ) it may be a way forward for that sector.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#536 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by ed »

I posted this a couple of years back but it got no response..maybe it might benefit from a bump

or the original here:

https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/campaigns/hydrogen

not sure how much is marketing BS or hype but the delivery system looks good. Not sure there are any clues as to how it gets into the bowser though.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#537 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Thanks Ed, I remember seeing that before.

Of course, it's still how Hydrogen is produced that is the stumbling block.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#538 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

and got shot down
Not sure I saw that, where I think you get shot down is when its suggested that H2 is a general solution.
Of course, it's still how Hydrogen is produced that is the stumbling block.
And transported and stored.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
brig001
Old Hand

#539 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by brig001 »

Greg wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:19 am I don’t expect to make savings on long journeys away from home. Rapid (Super)chargers are expensive yet convenient because the charging is done in the time it takes to have a toilet stop and pick up a coffee. The real savings are made day to day with local journeys and charging at home. My Octopus Go contract gives me four hours a night cheap electricity at 7.14p per kWh.
I suspected that the cost of the fast charge was the killer on that journey. Will be interesting to see how the pricing goes - you would expect it to get cheaper once the infrastructure and changer itself has been paid for
steve s
Shed dweller

#540 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

I read the BBC hydrogen thing this morning.
I find it amazing how designers focus in on one aspect (the implementation) without accepting the bigger picture.
Or maybe they have the expectation that production methods will become easier/ greener

Or maybe there's so much solar, electric hydrogen production in Australia could be more economic than it is here.

Or maybe the uk is going the same way... this company is local to Yorkshire and their ideas are quite compelling on the hydrogen front.

https://orsted.co.uk/energy-solutions/r ... etEALw_wcB

As with life in general, there's alot of maybes in my post.
That cold spell we had before Christmas when the sun and wind dropped and the country was down to using only 4% renewable energy also adds to the maybes ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number