Modifying content on Music Server

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 Modifying content on Music Server

Post by vinylnvalves »

I am wanting to modify the content on the squeeze box server LMS on the vortex box. Why you may ask. Well I was uploading anew CD over Xmas, and forgot about it. It annoyingly spits the CD out after it’s finished but if you don’t take the CD out it makes another copy. It did this all day... so I have a lot of copies I don’t want. Doesn’t allow you to modify the data in the server software. Discovering it on the network and using Putty via the laptop to look at the files doesn’t work either. Any ideas?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hmmmm this isn't a problem. I do it frequently. I use a p.c. and/ or a Mac to look at the network, find vortexbox, click on it to find folders, find 'files' , find flac folder, click on and sort out what I want, make new folder, rename and ir delete at will. If I can be bothered I go into LMS on the p.c. and re-scan files. I have a feeling that if I leave things alone it'll do this the same day anyway on the Vortexbox.

Good luckly!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by The Stratmangler »

Whenever I've had issues removing files on my NAS a reboot normally sorts it out.
Chris :happy3:
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#4 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by vinylnvalves »

Well your IT skills must be better than mine. I see the folders when I look over the network, but nothing below. I have even tried using the Windows power shells.
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by andrew Ivimey »

If you see the folders can you open them? The only folder you can 'tamper' with is Files.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#6 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by vinylnvalves »

The reboot of the server made the content appear.
However i dont seem to be able to tamper with any of the folders... this is what i see
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (63.29 KiB) Viewed 8702 times
andrew Ivimey

#7 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by andrew Ivimey »

OK, what's in the Music Folder?
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#8 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by vinylnvalves »

folders for each of the albums on the server... like this
Picture2.png
Picture2.png (166.49 KiB) Viewed 8687 times
i can copy the files elsewhere but cannot modify or add.
andrew Ivimey

#9 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So if you want to delete a folder....just do it. And, as Chris says, after a reboot the server will sort things out.
Perhaps. Are you using a Squeezebox and Vortexbox though? I do. This may be different to what you are running.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#10 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by vinylnvalves »

yes my files are managed via vortexbox. I cannot delete the folders. I will try another reboot to see if that fixes things. I am sure when LMS/squeezeserver was generated one of the intents was the metadata wasnt modifiable... dont seem to be able to modify the permissions either
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by Nick »

Worst case, just boot the box using a usb stick or disk image and delete the files from the command line.

It will just be running a copy of samba to get to the files remotely.

I found a page that suggests to update the files go via /storage/files/music
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#12 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by vinylnvalves »

best case option - i think is to install the latest version of vortexbox and reinstall the music off my backup. I can modify the files on the backup drive. Also i can then delete and reload the unknown albums, as vortexbox hasnt been behaving recently, properly tagged.
andrew Ivimey

#13 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well okay, I haven't done much to my system; the virtexbox may not be long fir this world but a kind friend gave me his as he's gone over to rasp pi. The 'new' Vortexbox is a glorious 3tB jobbie, all smooth and sophisticated. Very well used ... I wonder how long.

Anyway, please let me know how your ops goes. I may need help myself!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#14 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by The Stratmangler »

Is the Vortexbox a member of any defined network?
My NAS is a member of WORKGROUP .
I am defined as admin for the NAS
As defined admin I can access everything on the device and do whatever I want to anything stored on it.
My son's access is limited to read and copy only.
Chris :happy3:
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#15 Re: Modifying content on Music Server

Post by vinylnvalves »

Maybe... it is an access thing. Not sure how to change rights on the home network. The PC that it was all configured on is long gone. I had the foresight to put the password on a label on the side of the vortex box.